It's official - JWs have least common sense of any religious group in US

by slimboyfat 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some fascinating results in the latest pew research. (How did I miss this before?) Including that JWs rely on their religion the most of any group to tell right from wrong and rely on common sense the least.

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/jehovahs-witness/#sources-of-guidance-on-right-and-wrong-by-religious-group

Much higher than even the Mormons who are a similar high control group.

JWs are consistently at the extreme end of various measures. They are the least educated, most homophobic, poorest, most creationism-believing, most prayerful, God-believing and meeting attending religious group in the United States.

A little movement toward being less homophobic among JWs is interesting. As is the demographic shift away from whites to Hispanics and from young to old.

• cofty
    cofty
    65% female
  • stillin
    stillin
    Ha! So, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
  • cofty
    cofty
    I'm not saying there is a connection between SBFs post and mine :)
  • sir82
    sir82
    For the belief and practice questions (e.g., believe in God? How often read scripture? etc.) I wonder how many were really truthful, vs. answering what "they are supposed to say" because "Jehovah is listening".
  • cofty
    cofty
    I think there are a few examples where a lot of JWs didn't understand the question
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Most interesting to me are the results for belief in heaven and hell.

89% do NOT believe in hell. OK.

However, belief in heaven is split. 50% do believe in heaven while 39% do NOT believe in heaven.

What? Maybe they didn't understand the question? Or were they trying to witness to the interviewer about the heavenly vs. earthly hope?

• cofty
    cofty

I think they just confused about whether they were going to heaven or were being pedantic about what heaven was.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Clearly many JWs were spooked by the question and afraid that belief in heaven would be construed as belief that they were going to heaven. They are the group with the least common sense remember. All the other results are illuminated by that one finding.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    The least common sense! To funny. Very true

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit