Acts of God & accidents

by Diogenesister 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Exodus 21.12 Whoever strikes a person mortally shall be put to death. If it was not premeditated, but came about by an act of God? then I will appoint for you a place to which the killer may flee. But if someone wilfully attacks and kills another by treachery, you shall take the killer from my altar for execution.

Why would God, who is/has dictated these laws to moses, call an accident "an act of God". Is that to say that all unfortunate events, accidents & tragedies are CAUSED by an ACT definition:noun

1. 1.
      a thing done; a deed.
      "a criminal act"

deed, action, gesture, feat, exploit,move, performance, undertaking,manoeuvre, stunt, operation,venture, effort, enterprise,achievement, accomplishment
      "a life filled with acts of kindness"
      Therefore God has taken positive steps when you wrestle with your friend over the TV remote for him to fall down the stairs & break his neck
      What a horrible thought, I thought he didn't interfere in human affairs????
      This was OBVIOUSLY writen by a 3 rd party
      Imagining what laws god would give.
      The JW get over these horrible Exodus slave laws
      by saying the people were too hard hearted then.
      But I am not having that. So a few hundred years later they were ready
      for the love in Christianity? I thought people stayed the same
      & didnt evolve?Its one thing for Direct Line insurance to
      call things "acts of God", its quite another for GOD TO CALL
      THINGS ACTS OF GOD!
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Isaiah 45:6,7

NIV I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;
    I, the LORD, do all these things

KJV I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil:
    I the LORD do all these things.

Hebrew version I form the light, and create darkness; I make shalom, and create evil.
    I am the LORD, who does all these things
  • The Marvster
    The Marvster

two things came to mind...

1. god who is 'omnipresent' is there watching every accident, and 'could' prevent, but instead allows it.

or worse

2. seeing as the ACCIDENT was an ACT OF GOD, God is actually responsible, and if so, why would the person need to flee to the city of refuge when;

A) God could have prevented the accident happening, but stood by and did nothing.

B) Being an act of god, it is GOD who is responsible, perhaps God should have been running to the cities of refuge?

I heard some Apostate quoting that Isaiah scripture just yesterday, I hadn't heard it before... The Old Testament is an indictment. A loving god? This is why I ended my relationship with god approximately 4 months ago...

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Thanks John Aquilla & Marvster for your posts, boy forget old Sparlock this character is just plain SCARY
  • mynameislame
    mynameislame
    Why do we have to ask god Not to lead us into temptation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit