JW attacked by Ram sues owner

by IronGland 16 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

From this link: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,5876608%5E662,00.html

Ram butts Bible man
    By CHRISTOPHER SALTER
    23jan03

AFTER a day of doorknocking the last thing Jehovah's Witness Kenneth Hawthorn expected was to be attacked by one of God's creatures. But that is exactly what happened.

Despite a gate marked 'private - keep out', Mr Hawthorn entered a farm only to be confronted by a four-year-old ram.

He attempted to shoo it away with a briefcase containing Bibles but was knocked to the ground and suffered a broken shin.

In the South Australian District Court, Mr Hawthorn and his wife Pamela, of Tea Tree Gully, reached a confidential settlement with the ram's owners for loss of earnings after the incident in July 2001.

The Hawthorns sued Ronald and Julie Goldfinch, of Paracombe, in the Adelaide hills. They claimed they were forced to sell their hose-fitting business as a result of the injuries Mr Hawthorn suffered.

They alleged the ram was a "dangerous and ferocious animal" and the Goldfinches were negligent for not keeping it confined and failing to warn visitors.

The Hawthorns also sued the Adelaide Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses for failing to provide proper instructions about doorknocking in rural areas.

In the Hawthorns' statement of claim, Mr Hawthorn, who was doorknocking with his daughter, said they opened a gate on the Goldfinch property and walked towards their house to "engage in biblical discussion".

"As they did so a ram appeared and charged (Mr Hawthorn) to the ground and the ram continued the attack pushing him towards the fence," the court documents said.

"At this time the defendants appeared and assisted (Mr Hawthorn) back into his car.

Mr Hawthorn claims he now is able to walk only small distances and "his capacity to enjoy life has permanently diminished".

In their defence, the Goldfinches said the Hawthorns entered their property "uninvited, unwanted and without notice".

They said their hand-reared pet ram had never attacked anyone before nor had it shown a "violent disposition".

In its own defence, The Adelaide congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses said doorknocking was voluntary and followers were not obliged to do it.

Mr Goldfinch said yesterday he was glad the case was over but disappointed with the result.

"We're just totally disappointed that they should have got anything," he said. "He walked into an area where he knew animals would have been, why should we pay."

The ram, which was affectionately known as "S--- for brains", has since died.

The Hawthorns declined to comment.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Apparently he did not appreciate the difference between a ram and a sheep.

• blondie
    blondie

A ram is a male sheep. I can tell the difference and I'm just a woman.

Blondie

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

The ram, which was affectionately known as "S--- for brains", has since died.

I think that name is more fitting for that JW. Suing the owners of the ram??? That's along the lines of Obese People Suing McDonalds because the food is fattening.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Did you notice this part:

"In its own defence, The Adelaide congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses said doorknocking was voluntary and followers were not obliged to do it."
  • badboy
    badboy

PULL THE OTHER 1!

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Did you notice this part:

"In its own defence, The Adelaide congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses said doorknocking was voluntary and followers were not obliged to do it.

Hi Undisfellowshipped.

I couldn't help but notice that. When I saw that quote I almost hit the roof. That is a real sore spot with me. I saw that yesterday and when I went home I was still fuming, nattering about it to my husband.

P.S. How do you get this damn highlighting of part of this post. Sorry still learning.

Edited by - calamityjane on 23 January 2003 9:1:2

• zev
    zev

THIS STORY WAS MENTIONED ON A LOCAL ROCK STATION IN PROVIDENCE RI THIS MORNING, AL AND PAUL OF WHJY 94.1

I WANTED TO CALL THEM AND SAY SOMETHING MORE AND FUEL THE FIRES.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Zev,Paul and Al were discussing that on 94HJY? I wish I had heard it,lol.

I can't believe the cong said witnessing is voluntary! How come I didn't realise this when they were chasing me down for my hours,and telling me I didn't go out in service enough?

I think the witnesses who sued the homeowners had ____ for brains.Maybe they should have heeded the advice of the signs that said Keep Out.

• badboy
    badboy

2 stop the highlighting/bold etc U click on the `rubber-like icon above where it says size!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit