Orgone Energy and Jehovah's Witnesses

by Phaedra 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Just a little process writing ... with a some tongue-in-cheekiness tossed in. I pulled out my copy of this book, which I still have with all the highlighted answers and scriptures written in the margins when I was a tween and teen studying to get baptized.

My whole existence was based on the ideas in this book being real and true and I lived my life accordingly, sacrificing myself to the Jehovah's Witnesses Organization, with nothing to show for it. I grieve for the countless others who are/were likewise deceived.

You Can't Live Forever in Paradise on Earth: Orgone Energy and Jehovah's Witnesses

by Phaedra

One hot, Sunday afternoon in July 1982, I sat in an audience with over 10,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses at the Hawthorne Racetrack in Chicago, Illinois, listening to the day’s concluding talk by a Governing Body member. Suddenly, he raised a large book with a rich, red cover and gold embossed lettering. He read the title with a booming declaration: You. Can. Live. Forever. In. Paradise. On. Earth!

The full stadium erupted with joyful applause for the highly anticipated book release after the long, 4-day convention. And the title affirmed what adherents held so very near and near: that they, Jehovah’s Witnesses, would live forever on a paradise earth as a reward for their life of long-suffering, obedience, and visible works to Jehovah God in this system of things.

At 10 years old, I was fully accepting of this belief and all others taught by Jehovah's Witnesses. I trusted the adults around me and followed their lead. Being among thousands of believers in this setting was powerful, leaving no doubt in my impressionable young mind. This new red book would go on to teach me the foundations of life's "truth" and shape my worldview as it carried me to the next level of my religious devotion through my teens and 20s.

Fifty years earlier, in the 1930s, Austrian psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich had a theory about life force energy that he called orgone energy (he closely associated it with sexuality). He believed that orgone energy could be accumulated and stored, and despite being discredited and dismissed by the scientific community early on, went on to design a device called an orgone accumulator. His persistent belief in this etheric force gained so much support from his believers that he established the Orgone Institute in 1942.

You can read the fine details of Reich's story elsewhere, but both he and Jehovah’s Witnesses have this in common: the belief in an unverifiable, unseen "truth" so palpable that it takes on a life of its own, despite evidence to the contrary.

In 2014, peak membership of the Jehovah's Witness religion was 8.2 million. The vitality, or what I now call jworgone energy of Jehovah's Witnesses, comes directly from its active members through their attention, devotion, and resources in support of the movement, voluntarily coerced by the words and actions of the governing body who have positioned themselves as the mouthpiece of God. •

• prologos
    prologos
    Did Reich live in Austria during the 3rd Reich? did he know that the other Austrian in that other 1000 year Reich had only one exposed ball? did Hitler only store 1/2 of his orgone energy? or is it all gone? currently history buffs in Europe are having a (1) ball with that.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They WTBTS is based on Pyramidology, at least in part. Pyramidology is centered around Sacred Geometry. Crystalline structures are geometric and supposedly made by Jeehoobiedoober. Quartz crystals transmit sound, a form of energy.

A certain spider even uses Quartz to line a pit, then sends out strings of webbing to the Quartz. The Quartz transmits sound so well, that the spider knows exactly where it's prey is located.

Then you have the Quartz crystal radio, magical by ancient standards.

For the WTBTS to mock any belief system which centers around their God's crystals would be hypocritical, so I believe they would accept your Jworgone lable. Why, look!! There is already a picture of JWs worshipping a Jworgone crystal on the inter-web!!!

DD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Clever comparison!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Amazing!! I remember well the summer 1982 convention. Impressionable young mind amongst thousands of people accepting this new Live Forever book. It's hard to describe. Being amidst of that large audience introduced to that book seemed overwhelming. Thinking that it just had to be the ''Truth'', the way.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra
    All, thanks for your comments!
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    I too became a witness from this Live Forever book. In this book it was clearly explained that the generation of 1914 absolutely would not pass away before Armageddon came. Oops to the 5 million people or so they made that mistake to at the time. But I still have a faith of some sort now, and still am hanging in there. It's just not controlled by the WT anymore. I'm free.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

My intermittent study for baptism in that book literally spanned three conductors and four years.

In the front cover I wrote some notes. One reads: "Completed February 16, 1989."

The other, a numbered list that was a constant gauge to measure my spiritual health:

5 Valves

1. prayer
    2. regular personal study
    3. meeting attendance
    4. field service
    5. association
  • Trent Duvall
    Trent Duvall

Here is an interesting fact on Orgone or Orgonon energy. It is actually the subject of Kate Bushs' classic song and video, "Cloudbusting". She mentions Orgonon in the first line..."I still believe in orgonon..."

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting - Official Music Video

Like Bush's first hit "Wuthering Heights", this is based on a book. It was inspired by Peter Reich's 1973 Book of Dreams, which describes his father Wilhelm's arrest for contempt of court. Wilhelm Reich was an Austrian psychiatrist who was trained in Vienna by Sigmund Freud.

His work combined Marxism and psychoanalysis to advocate sexual freedom. In the 1930s, Reich came up with the concept of "orgone," a physical energy contained in the atmosphere and in all living matter. The "Cloudbuster" was a device he came up with to manipulate the orgone energy in the atmosphere, which would force clouds to form and bring rain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit