One question that would make you think....

by Dawn 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi all:

No JW's have been to my door for YEARS because they all know where I live - my mom drives by with her "car group" and points out our house, even stops to use the potty or get a pop. Silly - I know, but Mom doesn't seem to care about the shunning thing (thank goodness).

Anyways - hubby and I have bought a new house and will be moving out of this congregation's area soon. It's a brand new house in a new area so I'm sure it'll get worked fairly quickly (new blood on the block). So I want to be prepared for the first visit.

Keeping in mind that my goal is not to "beat up" on those that come to the door - I honestly want to give them something to think about and in a way that does not put them on the defense. With this in mind - what one bible question would have made you (or did make you) stop and think. What could I ask them that they wouldn't have a prepared answer for - that they could not answer and stay within their doctrine? I have thought about bringing up the fact that they didn't believe Jesus had taken the throne in 1914 until 1919 - but I think they would just feel on the defense with that one.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I like E-mans statements to the Dubs:

Wont you agree that the "generation-which-saw -1914- would- not-pass- away-until the end-comes- JW teaching was just a bunch of rubbish?" Or something to that effect. Do a search on Englishmans postings...he made some very powerful points.......

Edited by - thichi on 21 January 2003 12:41:0

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

You can ask them if they are false prophets. Be sure to have all articles ready, where they claimes to be inspired and/or prophets of Jehovah.

They will then tell you that they thought they were prophets, but are not today. And then you can ask them, what do you think Jehovah thinks about a group who claims to be his prophet and it turns out they weren't?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Ray Franz books contain many non offensive points that got me thinking:

"Notice that the hero of Jesus story regarding the Good Samaritan was a person of another religion?" wow...........really breaks down the JW teaching that all outside the Faith are evil and doomed.....

• Dia
    Dia

Which one of you is the pedophile?

And how come you're not sure?

(nix on the 'not making them defensive' thing - sorry)

okay...how 'bout this?

If you were really struggling with something personal, is there anyone in the congregation that you could confide in without feeling that they would be obligated to share it with church authorities?

What about if you had doubts or questions about some WT teaching? Is there any JW you could talk to without risking everything if you don't agree?

How come you don't tell people at the door that if they join, they will lose their family? And if they ever quit they will lose all their family and friends? Don't you think it would be fair for them to know before they get involved too much?

• JH
    JH

I would ask them, what do they make of the new generation definition?

And how does it affect older witnesses?

• Valis
    Valis

Ask them simple things about their family...

How much real time do they spend together? Make them answer this one honestly!

Would they sacrifice said family or shun their own for their religion?

Do they currently shun former friends or family members?

Do they truly believe there will be an Armageddon? And why?

How do they personally feel about the pedophelia issue seeing that they would not be informed by the elders?

Simple ones might be better than the ingrained doctrinal ones...just a thought.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've always wanted to hit them with this statement: "As a Christian, and a stirct adherent to the Bible, I can not follow a religion that denies Jesus as my mediatior with God."

I'm sure they will have no idea what I'm talking about, at which point I'll tell them to look it up in the 1979 Watchtower.

• undercover
    undercover
    I've always wanted to hit them with this statement: "As a Christian, and a stirct adherent to the Bible, I can not follow a religion that denies Jesus as my mediatior with God."

That might be the best line of thinking to use. Or ask them who their mediator is. If they answer Jesus, you can make them look silly by showing them that they don't believe by the WTS standards. If they answer correctly(by WTS standards) then you can say that you choose to go by the Bible and what it says. This would cause some uncertainty for sure. You won't win any arguments or convince them, but it will plant a seed of doubt.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Dawn

How about - "could you please show me from the bible where it is a disfellowshipping offence to disassociate oneself. Also, did you know that the Organisation has been involved with the United Nations for over nine years. I don't think that they would be able to answer either of these questions, but it would be interesting to hear them waffle !

KT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit