Did Jesus Die on a Cross or Stake

by Tommy Boy 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

jgnat, I must be doing something wrong---I've got AR 5.0, but when I open Leoalia's page all I get is an icon, and I hit a wall.

I really would like to see that research. If you would be so kind as to e-mail me the file? Maybe that will work.

Thanks, Craig

• artful
    artful

Below is a quote I had saved from a previous thread (I'm sorry, I don't remember who to credit for this) which discusses the the physical effects of hanging on a stake as compared to a cross. Basically a study in the '40s found that being suspended with your arms directly above your head (on a stake) would produce limited breathing capacity and asphyxiation within minutes. However, being suspended with arms outstretched (on a cross) one could breath comfortably for hours. Of course the Bible states that Jesus was alive for at least 3 hours, and those beside him for even longer.

Artful

_______
    Austrian radiologist, Hermann Moedder, experimented with medical students in the 40's, hanging them by their wrists with their hands directly above their heads (much like the Watchtower pictures Jesus on a stake). In a few minutes, the students became pale, their lung capacity dropped from 5.2 to 1.5 liters, blood pressure decreased and the pulse rate increased. Moedder concluded that inability to breathe would occur in about six minutes if they were not allowed to stand and rest.

The same would apply to Christ, IF he were suspended on a stake as the Watchtower depicts him, hung from hands bound directly overhead. He would have suffocated in a matter of minutes.

Zugibe, however, discovered that if students were hung by hands outstretched to the side at 60-70 degrees, they would have no trouble breathing for hours on end. Since Luke 23:44 and Matthew 27:45,46 show that Christ was on the cross for about three hours, the evidence points again to death on a traditional cross.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Well, I don't have the answer to that one. I wasn't there, and I don't necessarily believe the writers of the books of the bible were that accurate.

In fact, here's one for you. I don't know if Jesus actually "died" anyway. Certain books about the blood lineage of Jesus continuing on after his supposed death really make me wonder. Information written "after the fact", can always distort and fabricate actual events. It does appear that other societies of people were aware of Jesus existance as a person of great quality...but the story they tell is quite different than what we are taught in mainstream religion.

I mean, why is it today, that the Jew is still waiting for his Messiah?......

Perhaps, Jesus being an enlightened creature, with many new and wonderful ideas, was just a pawn for the religion of the day, who set him up to be this Messiah, by "artificially fulfilling supposed prophecy", and forcing the issue of his "death". Maybe his very own followers gave him a potent to drink, and he was in a coma for days. Maybe he was already married and a father, and just fulfilled this device of events, and moved on to live a humble and illusive life elsewhere, love his wife and raise his children, and die normally. For being the "son of god", there is so little written about him as a man in the bible. Very large chunks of his life are not even considered. Perhaps that was because he was more "normal" as far as being human, than we care to look at. Listen to the great teachers of today, and make believe for an instant, that one of "them" might be the Messiah, and how the possibility exists for other people in control to manipulate situations to force that event.

If past history is anything like the news we have at our very fingertips today, it is frightening to think how manipulated we have been as a society of mankind. All in the name of religion. All for control. All for power.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hmmmm, Sentinel.

If past history is anything like the news we have at our very fingertips today, it is frightening to think how manipulated we have been as a society of mankind. All in the name of religion. All for control. All for power.

Though I agree that religion is a handy tool for Tyrants, it is not the only weapon in their arsenal. Consider the Communists. I do not believe that religion itself is the enemy. In the name of religion, mankind has also produced some greats, like Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit