Dilemmas......What is their Purpose?

by Siddhashunyata 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

What is the purpose of moral dilemmas? Do they point us to God or to ourselves?

• Xander
    Xander

To which do you refer?

In general, a moral dilemma is caused by the conflict of a religious or belief system and society or government. As such, they are artificial in nature and have nothing to do with any divine being or beings, if said even exist.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

A mother is giving birth but if she does, she will die and the child will live. If she does not give birth she will live and the child will die. The mother is unconscious and you are the doctor. You decide.

Does this condition point to faith in god or does it cause something else to happen within the doctor ?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Another type of dilemma is when ones feelings and desires conflict w ones ideals of right and wrong. It's conflict between the flesh and mind, and perhaps spirit. Not sure about their purpose.

SS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Since when do uncomfortable circumstances have "purpose"?

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

SixofNine, to a believer in God all circumstances have a purpose. That is why I'm posing this question?

• Brummie
    Brummie

Siddhashunyata that was a good point!

Many are faced with moral dilemas everyday that are not based on religious thoughts.

The siamiese Twins comes to mind, last year doctors and family had to decide which little girl would survive if a seperation of their bodies took place...the decision was in the hands of the mom & dad and doctors...now thats a moral dilema.

Every day in hospitals around the globe the delima is whether to switch off life support machines or not..etc

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Brummie, yes that is exactly what I'm getting at. These things are happening all the time and in unimaginable ways. The question of purpose goes to the core of the nature of God.

• Xander
    Xander

I'm not sure I understand how those are 'moral dilemmas'

Surely, they are not dilemmas of any kind?

In the case of siamese twins where one must die for one to live, what is the dilemma? Whichever 'side' appears to be healthiest should be selected to live. I suppose the only other option would be to let them stay together, which dooms them to a short life of pain and segregation from 'normal' human society, anyway. Certainly, not a valid option.

whether to switch off life support machines or not

Again, how a dilemma? Firstly, if there is a chance of survival, human compassion dictates extension as long as possible. As to when there is NO chance of recovery or improvement, it comes down to what where the victims wishes.

No dilemma....

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Within ones self one might be thinking of the consequences of ones own decision or indecision with or with a belief system to guide ones conscience.

The situation presented does not allow for the husband to choose or the mother to have already decide the outcome before hand.

So the doctor does what is ethical medically,allows the child to be born.He is not the cause of the death of the mother or the child,nature takes it cause.

Just my thought without researching all the angles to this situation.MY answer demonstrates that there is no dilemma.Only tragedy. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

Dilemma,yes or no ? Mother and wife are drowning at the same time who does the husband save,he can only save one. Mother and child who does he save? HEARTBREAKING either way. these issues have been discussed over and over . Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit