Dumbfounded by COC

by eyeslice 6 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Over the weekend, I read for the first time Crisis of Conscience.

Whilst I was already familiar with much of the material on chronology, 1874, 1914, etc. I was dumbfounded to learn how the Governing Body actually works and conducts itself. I think that many of us who have been elders in the past can really relate to Ray and the battle he faced.

I must admit, I thought it was just me, and the battles I have faced with local hard-line elders. I have often sat in elders meetings thinking that some of these people are simply slaves to man made laws, why cant they see what the Bible really says rather trying to determine the letter of the law from WT publications? My opinion was, and still is, that many elders whilst often knowing many scriptures word for word, are unable to grasp the simple message behind the words.

What was shocking is the picture painted of a group of men who apparently do not have time to study the Bible deeply themselves but at the same time are willing to make doctrinal decisions at the drop of a hat.

Like Ray, I once felt that I could make a difference by being a moderate in an extreme organization. But I am not so sure now.

eyeslice

ps I would like to write Ray - if anyone has his address could you e-mail it to me

• Francois
    Francois

They do indeed have a form of Godly devotion, but prove false to it's power; modern-day Pharisees.

You can write to Ray in care of the publisher, or you can write to him general delivery, Winston, GA. Sorry I don't have the zip code.

francois

• LovesDubs
  • Flip
    Flip
    do not have time to study the Bible deeply themselves but at the same time are willing to make doctrinal decisions at the drop of a hat.

That's the easy part! The tough job is making the bureaucracy of a financial empire perform like a well oiled machine.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi eyeslice,

Please,did succed in contacting Ray?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

You had some of the same reactions I did. I read it while an elder and it amazed me how the GB functioned pretty much like the elder body when it came to the personalities. I was more convinced than ever that the whole "spirit directed" thing was bogus. After all the GB was just like an elder body and we were guided sometimes by good sense, sometimes by procedures, and sometimes by politics. But never could some "active force" be felt (though I know that's subjective as some elders did swear they could feel holy spirit).

• Scott77
    Scott77

Bttt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit