"New Things Learned"

by RubaDub 4 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

There always used to be a part when the CO visited called "New Things Learned" in which we would get a list of things to study prior to the meeting.

To me, the "new things" always seemed to be such basic things like showing love, being respectful, etc. etc. etc. If this information was so "new," I always thought that someone had been doing a very lousy job teaching. To me it was just another rehash of the same stuff. I have not been to the CO Show Week of Special Activities for a couple of years.

1. Does the CO still do the New Things Learned thing?

2. Has anyone ever learned anything really "new" from that part?

• Gopher
    Gopher

They renamed that part "Continue in the Things Learned", probably for the very reasons you just stated. There wasn't anything really new, it was just a review of stuff in recent magazines.

• blondie
    blondie

No, New Things Learned was canceled several years ago due to lack of interest. Very few people prepared in advance, so only a few ever participated. It was replaced with a 1/2 hour talk after the combined congregation book study at the KH on Thursday nights (usually). That talk is an outline given them by the WTS although they may add a few points particular to the congregation they are visiting.

That part was really a review of points in the magazines during his last and current visit. Usually, these were non-study articles in the WT. Now the WTS has those articles covered during the Instruction Talk each week at the theocratic school.

Blondie

Edited by - Blondie on 20 January 2003 15:59:58

• undercover
    undercover

We always called it "Old Things Forgotten".

But I guess it could be "Things Changed and Re-learned"

• Gopher
    Gopher

Blondie,

Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot.. that's one less Q&A part for the publishers to endure participate in.

Undercover,

That's what we called it too -- "old things forgotten". LOL. I think it also could have been called "recent WT teachings ignored".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit