JW delivery man just here

by Mulan 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had to buy my parents a new refrigerator and dishwasher this week, and it was delivered a few minutes ago. One of the delivery men noticed Mom's Daily Text book, and asked her if she read it every day, to stay close to Jehovah. She immediately asked him "what congregation are you in?" He said he isn't baptized but his Mom is a long time JW, in a city nearby. We don't know her. He was about 25, and made excuses about not being baptized, and talked the talk of a loyal dub.

After the other delivery man went back to the truck he told us he was a militant Mormon. So I said "well they are very similar". He agreed with me, and said he has been amazed how close the beliefs are and how much they agree on things. I said that all the Mormons I know are really good people, and he agreed again. I could tell Mom did not like that at all.

On his way out, he said our dog was a good JW dog, and he knew she was nice and wouldn't hurt them, as soon as he found out we were JW's.

All in all, it was a very "icky" feeling.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sometimes the "JW wannabes" or bystanders are more zealous in stating their belief that JW's have the truth than the veteran JW's are. The veterans have been worn down by time and trial, by questionable doctrines, by harsh presiding and/or circuit overseers, by being judged by the others in their "brotherhood" as to their worthiness, etc., etc.

The wannabes who never got baptized and yet hold up the JW's as the way and the truth really don't know what it's all about, and don't know what they're in for once they (or IF they) do take the plunge.

They live in a dreamland.

Edited by - Gopher on 20 January 2003 15:53:36

• freedom96
    freedom96

Gopher, I agree 100 %. It reminds me of a story that my mother told me. She had run into a person who was df'd years ago. It had been quite a few years since they had seen each other, and were catching up. Then she had told him that she had da'd herself. He couldn't get away fast enough. Though he had been df'd years ago, and making no effort to come back, he wanted nothing to do with an apostate.

• caligirl
    caligirl

At dinner this past weekend, my sister was subjected to all the "engaging" conversation between my parents and some family friends(parents and friends active, sister did the fade). She relayed that one of the topics was about Mormons being a cult, yet, they cannot see that the they are no different. Incapable of removing the rafter from their own eyes. No wonder your Mom was not thrilled with the comparison!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Mulan,

This "JW" sounds like a con artist. I suspect he would have told you his toes were green if he thought it would have made you happy. Bug

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Reminds me of an incident, years ago, when I was just beginning to study with the JW's. I worked at an office with another girl who cursed like a sailor and didn't care who heard her or what they thought of her. There was a delivery guy who came in a couple of times a week. I can't remember how I found out he was a JW but when I did, I was all excited about revealing to him that I was studying. I remember that he acknowledged he was indeed a witness but then acted completely unimpressed and disinterested that I was studying to be in his religion. He liked the potty mouth alot better and seemed to find her most entertaining! He was nice to me but never spoke a word of "encouragement" about our commonality which I thought, at the time, to be rather strange. I now understand what this bro was probably going through. Burned out and bored of it all with no desire to cultivate any *kingdom seeds* while out doing *normal* things.

I seriously doubt this brother hung in for long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit