Surviving Conventions.

by embalmed 20 Replies latest jw friends

• embalmed
    embalmed

Any tips on how to get thru convention meetings as painless as possible? I have the most awful time doing nothing for 4 hours straight. Last time I resorted to doodling in my "note" book, but I got it taken away. Any other ways to pass the time?

Also, what can I do to keep from going out in the ministry? I cannot do this every Saturday for three more years. The regular meetings I can handle, as much as I would rather be elsewhere, but HELL I hate knocking on people's doors. And I think it'll start getting suspicious if I'm "sick" every Saturday.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Also, what can I do to keep from going out in the ministry? I cannot do this every Saturday for three more years. The regular meetings I can handle, as much as I would rather be elsewhere, but HELL I hate knocking on people's doors. And I think it'll start getting suspicious if I'm "sick" every Saturday.

Some minor "sins" can help you there. I can't remember which ones. Perhaps others here can tell you what "bad" habits to develop and to confess to the elders.

Richard

• SYN
    SYN

Here is something which may help you:

Dub Convention HOWTO.

• kril
    kril

Get a security thing to place under your name badge. That sucker is a get out of jail free card. You can walk around and boss people around. Better then sitting down I guess.

• email
    email

Any tips on how to get thru convention meetings as painless as possible?

MORPHINE!!!!!!

but if you can't get it... and you "MUST" go (maybe for the sake of a love one) I once took the C of C book... or some other interesting book... 7 hrs a day makes a great time for reading, taking naps, business planning, studying behavioral pshycology and a lot of other things...

Good luck!!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I take it you are a minor and have three more years til you are 18?

Develop "agoraphobia" (fear of open spaces) and social phobia (fear of crowds). That should solve both your problems. Just start acting nutty when you have to go to the meetings or the conventions. Maybe you could develop Tourette's Syndrome where you scream out a cuss word every few minutes.

I feel for you, friend. It's hard still being stuck in with JW parents when all you want so badly is to get out!

CG

• La Capra
    La Capra

I actually did develop a bit of a condition that sometimes gives me mild anxiety attacks when I am in large crowds (rock concerts too-which sucks). That would be a very good one. Heavy breathing, pounding heart, images of the entire auditorium (and the people) spinning around. Refuse to get out of the car out of panic-act nutso. Yes. This might work, especially if you can work it into a session of weeping/hysterics as well. If all goes according to plan, you may even be able to work this phobia to avoid the meetings as well.

As for getting out of field service. May I recommend getting a weekend job. This will do two things-the first being your primary goal, getting out of field service. It will also get you out and around normal people-a step towards building a life outside of the cult. Just make sure it isn't a job that requries you to be around crowds.

And keep us posted, I would love to hear your antics-and the reactions of those around you.

They play games with our lives-go ahead, play back.

Shoshana

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    Any tips on how to get thru convention meetings as painless as possible?

Don't go

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Digital camera with telephoto lens. You can look really interested in taking photos of the *fascinating* talks but in reality spy on the people around you and across the auditorium. It's kind of the National Enquirer way to get through the convention. Or you could write a screenplay in your head. I remember writing several episodes of my favorite TV shows during conventions. (Always said I was a head case!) Or you could picture the speakers naked (but that can get kind of scary).

Good luck.

Nina

• shera
    shera

I disliked the conventions....very much! My legs and knees would get spasms from sitting too long.Looking back now,I don't know how I survived them.My daughter fussed threw them all,and I don't blame her at all..poor child,putting her threw all that garbage.no wonder she can't stand the meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit