Identifying mind states used by JWs

by Introspection 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Dantheman,

That lady sounds like a wonderful example of what normal people do with a little bit of money and a lot of hard work. Good for her.

The fact that they put down good people like that is a real shame.

Intro,

One good trick was them not banning something, just mentioning something in a talk and saying, "Is that wha ta Christian would want to be known as being involved in."

Unofficial rules are the worst.

ash

• Introspection
    Introspection

So it seems like from reading these observations that basically, the organization fosters emotional dependency among the members. What people don't seem to recognize is that it's not only the dispensing of praise and good feelings in the form of love bombing and such, but they actually push your buttons when it comes to the negative feelings as well - which only makes sense, because then there's complete control from both sides.

What I find ironic about all this is most spiritual teachings has something in there about selflessness, but what an organization like the WTS does is in fact keep you in an infantile self centered state, wanting approval from people whose opinion really shouldn't have a whole lot to do with your self esteem. It's kind of like "You stroke my ego and I'll stroke yours" - all done under an umbrella of an illusory belief system of course.

• Scully
    Scully

Dear Introspection:

faith: Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of reality, though not beheld. - Heb 11:1

compare that definition to this next one....

delusion: fixed false beliefs, not amenable to arguments or facts to the contrary, and which are not shared by others of similar cultural background.

denial: an unconscious defense mechanism in which emotional conflict and anxiety are avoided by refusing to acknowledge those thoughts, feelings, desires, impulses, or external facts that are consciously intolerable.

The Society would NEVER be associated with the United Nations!! NEVER!!

projection: a psychological defense mechanism by which an individual attributes his or her own unacceptable traits, ideas or impulses to someone else.

There may be a few isolated instances of child molestation among JWs, but that's NOTHING compared to the Catholic church!!

displacement: an unconscious defense mechanism for avoiding emotional conflict and anxiety by transferring emotions, ideas, or wishes from one object to a substitute that is less anxiety-producing.

It's materialistic of me to want a new car, a big house and a well-paying job. I think I'll put in an application to pioneer!!

reaction formation: a defense mechanism in which a person expresses toward another person or situation feelings, attitudes or behavior that are the opposite of what would normally be expected.

Bad reports in the media about JWs are just apostates blowing isolated incidents of child molestation out of proportion. It's proably all a bunch of lies - you can't believe anything apostates are part of. I'm so glad the Society warned us about all this propaganda, and keeps reminding us about how JWs would be persecuted more and more as Armageddon gets closer!

You got me started... but I think I'll take a little break for now... LOL

Love, Scully

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hey Scully,

Your posting of the defense mechanisms made me think of one thing, and that is who people are defending when they are defending their beliefs. Actually it's pretty obvious, it's THEIR beliefs, they are defending their own thinking process. It's really pretty simple, why would GOD need some human's defense??

And of course, defense indicates there is fear. I'm sure we all know what the bible says about fear and love, the two don't jive together. If there's fear, no wonder there is no peace!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit