Something odd about how Watchtower portrays prayer versus how JWs actually pray.

by Island Man 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

Watchtower literature often depicts individuals praying with their hands clasped together or kneeling on the ground in their bedroom.

But I don't recall ever seeing a JW praying like that. I have never seen a JW praying in a kneeling position or with hands clasped together. Have you?

What's up with that?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Are the individuals they depict Witnesses or non-Witnesses?
  • Island Man
    Island Man

Sometimes are see witnesses depicted praying with hands clasped, in the literature. But I've never seen it in real life. In real life, JWs typically just close their eyes and bow their heads slightly while praying. I've never seen one go down on their knees or clasp their hands in real life.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, great observation!

If a witness is actually observed praying like that, they would be viewed as over righteous or showy!

But I noticed in one of this years convention videos, a youth was praying with hands clasped!

strange turn around.....

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Maybe the editors realize that the Witnesses do not take any special prayer position so they portray them with traditional - in Christendom - prayer positions so the reader know there is a prayer being said.
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    But I noticed in one of this years convention videos, a youth was praying with hands clasped!
    strange turn around.....

Was the convention video a portrayal or skit or was it a documentation of actual real-life prayer?

• Island Man
    Island Man
    Maybe the editors realize that the Witnesses do not take any special prayer position

I would say that eyes closed with heads slightly bowed, is the JWs' special prayer position. lol.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Island Man: "I would say that eyes closed with heads slightly bowed, is the JWs' special prayer position."

But that may not be a sufficient hint for 'worldly' people reading the literature. They will need a stronger hint than that to realize that the JWs are in prayer mode.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    But that may not be a sufficient hint for 'worldly' people reading the literature. They will need a stronger hint than that to realize that the JWs are in prayer mode

You're right, someone could easily mistake a photo of a JW dozing off during the assembly program or dozing off at the meeting at the kingdom hall, for a JW praying during the prayer in the baptismal talk or praying during the prayer over the wine or the bread at the memorial. lol

• smiddy
    smiddy

If a baptized Jehovah`s Witness practiced praying , kneeling , with his hands clasped together , in the congregation , he would be hauled in before a judicial meeting , because he would be classed as stumbling the congregation and causing divisions .

This is what false Christians do , an Identifying mark , of being a part of "Babylon the Great" they might say.

It would be interesting if our friends here who still go to meetings for one reason or another ( family ) would test this out .

Male or female it does not matter ,I`m just curious to know what the response would be from the general members of the congregation or the Elders response .

In reality it should not be an issue , however a cult religion may take exception.to that display.

Who is up for the challenge ? I`m sure many of us would like to know. You could always plead ignorance as to how you should pray.

You would only need to do it till you got a response

just saying

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit