In the hospital with Meningococcal....

by Lost Diamond 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

This last week has been very freaky for me. Last Saturday I went to bed feeling just fine. I woke up Sunday morning with a very high fever, chills, headache, sick to my stomach, and I couldn't really stand up. I thought I must have the flu. I continued to feel worse. Lucky for me my husband (we are separated) decided to check in on me after he called and I told him I was sick. He convinced me to go to the hospital. After I had my kid's father pick them up, he rushed me up there.

Once there they found I was running a fever of 104.9! They decided to do a kat-scan (sp?), a spinal tap, some blood cultures, and they proceeded to apply an IV with antibiotics. They sent me home to wait for the blood work to come back.

On Monday they phoned my husband and told him to rush me to the hospital...I had a bacterial infection in my blood and it was growing rapidly. At the hospital they told me I had Meningococcal, which is can turn into Meningitis if not caught on time. They immediately ran an IV in me and continued to feed antibiotics into my bloodstream the whole time I was there. All I could do was sleep most of the time until Thursday. My doctor told me I am very very lucky for going in when I did. Had I waited another day....it could have been fatal!

Five days later, I have been discharged from the hospital. Except for when I had my two children, I have never spent time in the hospital. I am a healthy woman, so this was very scary and alarming to me. I never realized how vulnerable we all are. One day one may feel healthy and normal, then next one may be gone.

This is a very rare disease which is spread by a simple sneeze or a cough. We are all carriers of this bacteria. It just takes off on some for unknown reasons. I know this much....I see life a little differently know!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Lost Diamond I am so glad you are okay now. That's a scary thing to go through!

I'm so sorry you had to go through a spinal tap. My son had one when he was 3 and it nearly broke my heart. He just screamed cause it was so painful.

Please take care of yourself!

~Aztec

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Gee LD,

So glad you got to the hospital on time, Meningococcal, is in the news a lot lately, and I've seen ppl not get help on time and within hours have died, or had limbs amputated, this bacteria is deadly, and works so fast.

Glad your well.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((((((((Lost Diamond))))))))))))))))

I'm very glad you are okay !!!! Take care and I hope you get better soon !!

XW

• blondie
    blondie

Oh, Lost Diamond, I'm so glad your regular good health helped you pull through. I live in a university area and there is one or two young people who succumb yearly and it is so quick. You rest up now, honey, and let the family pamper you a bit.

Blondie

• songmistress
    songmistress

Hey Sweetie,

Let me know if you need anything. You have my number. I do mean that!!!

Sounds very scary. Glad you caught it in time and that your ex is supportive.

Blessings

Cheryl

• ugg
    ugg

CLOSE ONE!!!!!! super glad you are ok,,,,,,scarey indeed....

• Mystla
    Mystla

I am so glad you are ok! If you need anyone to run errands for you, or anything else.. let me know! I know it can be hard to ask for help, but please don't hesitate, even for things like washing dishes or running the vacuum. I am here for you!

Mystla

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

((((((Lost Diamond)))))))))))

Wow, that is scary. Hope you're feeling much better.

Free

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

((((((((Lost Diamond))))))))

Sending a get well rose your way.

I'm happy to hear you are on the mend, that sounds so very scary what you went through. I'll call you today and see how you are. I have lots of time on my hands and can help out with whatever you need sweetie!

Hugs!

Katie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit