Whats wrong with service?

by PrvCronin13 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrvCronin13
    PrvCronin13

Hi. I am not a Witness but Id like to know why the religion is so anti-military service and doesn't even do something so simple as to salute the American flag.

• LB
    LB

The military kills people and they believe that saluting the flag is false worship.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

They are sick & twisted. They belong on an island all their own

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Well, you should realize that you are asking a group here that is comprised mostly of former JWs. But since we were all deep into it - the short answer is that they follow very literally the words of Jesus to "be no part of the world", applying that to mean "no part of governments". Of course, they fail to realize that to truly be "no part of the world" as they are trying to interpret those words, would require moving to Mars or something. They are also all too happy to suck at the teat of the government and it's benefits, but will do no more than pay taxes. No 'getting involved' in as much as voting, working w/ legislation, etc.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Oh that type of service, I thought you meant the door to door work, which we call going out in service. Otherwise I was going to give you a piece of mind as to what was wrong with "service"

Bye

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is a whole different mind set. Once you join the J W's you are living as a stranger in your own land ,you obey the laws, pay taxes, but owe the state no allegiance

The idea of a witness in USA or UK bearing arms against a witness(his" brother") in Iraq , should there be any there - is a total anathema.

allegiance to "The worldwide brotherhood" replaces any allegiance to ones own country ,whichever it may be.

Personally, I am still of the opinion that nationalism is one of the biggest causes of evil that afflicts the human race .

• PrvCronin13
    PrvCronin13

As in service I mean military service.

• PrvCronin13
    PrvCronin13

But the American Army has saved so many people and countries from total destruction. If it wasn't for us, there wouldn't be any Jews, God's chosen people, left in Europe. I know we haven't been saints, but through killing the enemy, we've saved so many. Going into war is facing hell, taking the bullet for someone. Sacrifice.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Jwism means - service is killing and evil - but living high off the fruit of service certainly isn't.

Loving the securities of their worldly existence they call the security guards evil, and then say it must be jerhovah's blessing - so it was jerhovah that sacrificed all the young men and women .

Well yes, but not quite - I think you'll find it was God - inside of all those young men and women who gave their lives for liberty and life for others.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 18 January 2003 5:53:18

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit