Best Comeback when being Counselled

by Stephanus 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Way back when...in the spring of 1984, I remembered I had arranged a meeting with the 'elders' in the last congregation I was in. The thing was, I wouldn't have approached them, but some 'brother' was going to report me etc., and call the Bethel in Canada blah-blah-blah. So, what did I do?

Wrote a letter to one elder. He wrote me back, he was in Florida at the time, and forwarded my msg. to another elder back in Toronto.

We arranged a meeting, it was on a Sunday in either April/May 84'. It was not held at the KH, but at an elder's home basement office.

I didn't waste ANY time. Told them what was up, right away. I just wanted to get it over with.

Well, out came the Bibles etc. (as would be expected) and then some info that one of the elders had pulled out of his hat that was not factual in my opinion. Later on I found it was not factual at all, based on ignorance.

Elders: Aren't you concerned about your choice, and displeasing Jehovah?

ME: No.

Elders: Are you repentant?

ME: No.

Elders: Is there anything we can do to persuade you?

Me: No.

Elders: (silence)

Then they began to pray. I just wanted to get it over with, more or less, quickly and as painlessly as possible.

I said little. No details, just yes/no answers. I did tell them what the offending sin was, but aside from that: NO DETAILS. Don't kid yourself, they asked many questions, and some were very personal.

It unnerved them, although trust me, it was not my intent. I remembered confiding to the elders before, and it caused me more headaches, and looking back, maybe I was marked. So my plan was to be: one-word-answers. I did not give them any fodder to work with.

Never was entirely sure if I was DF'd or DA'd. Doesn't really matter does it? I'm out of there now.

I'm Free!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Rayzor Blade, sounds like you were before the John Edwards Crossing Over JC - without you feeding answers into their "cold reading", they couldn't have your crimes revealed to them by "holy spirit". Nice one!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

mmm i've only ever been seriously counselled once ... and there was no humour in it ..

Elder Ewanitza and Elder Jack invite themselves in for 'a little chat'. I say sure, but please remove your shoes and ties before comming inside. With some confusion they enter and make themselves comfortable in the lounge room.

After about half an hour of "have you got a grudge against us unclebruce? .. we have it on good authority you do"

unc: "who said this? .. according to the tenants of british law, not to mention Mathew 13, haven't i the right to face my accuser?"

Elders: blah bluff'n blah .. "this is getting no-where ... let's close in prayer" "Jehovah may we all live in peace .. blah blah .."

sometime later (after a long passive resistance and i'd clearly left 'the truth')

Elder Jack: I'm so sorry about that meeting bro.unc. I think we might have stummbled you?!

unc: well Jack, you know what puzzled and hurt me about that little episode?

Elder Jack: no, what?

unc: you guy's came to council me but chose to leave your bibles behind. I had my bible there the whole time and could have crusified you but it just didn't feel right, you being unarmed and me with the mighty two edged sword on my lap. Afterward, the thought of you two comming to question me 'informally, without your bibles' really hurt. I'd carried a bible with me everywhere from the age of 10 and at the first sign of trouble you guys act as if i'm some worldly punk. I also started me thinking about the orwellian nature of it all .. ever read catch22?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit