What has the Watchtower reading material done to YOU?

by The Rebel 23 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    50 years ago--as a teenager--i found it difficult to read watchtower print. i even got reading glasses. but i could easily read anything else. i think it was my brain refusing to allow itself to be corrupted.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

The "dog & vomit" scripture immediately springs to mind!

Skimming over any article for reference/argument purposes, is genuinely upsetting at times.

The WT Study articles really drive home the fact that the WTBTS is a cult which uses Christianity as its machine to print money!

The Org's very existence is now totally dependent on the very real fear which is instilled into baptized ones - "we'll cut you off from everyone you love and care about."

Want to join "the spiritual paradise?"

• Oogie
    Oogie

Well, right after I woke up from my programming...just looking at a magazine lying on the desk made me nauseous. Nauseous to the point that I had to pick it up and tear it into tiny little pieces and flush it down the toilet.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Oogie :- " Well right after I woke up from my programming....

But what about the consequences this literature has caused before we woke up from our programming? For example, how many " family heads" kids never got an education because they woke up to late?

Personally nowadays each morning I read " Charlie Brown" with my breakfast. Before that I was reading Friedrich Nietzche who was a German philosopher and died in a Swiss lunatic asylum.

Strangely I have learnt more about the human condition by reading Charles M Schulz " you're The Greatest Charlie Brown" with my cornflakes,than I ever did from reading Nietzche or the Watchtower.

The Rebel.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It has caused me to waste more time than any other thing could do. .. But it has also been the reason for my developing a modicum of critical reasoning ,in latter years.

As the song says "We Won't Get Fooled Again"

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Hi BluesBrother:- " We won't get fooled again"

If that was directed at my " Did Man Land On The Moon....Won't get Fooled Again" thread, it made me laugh.

For the moment, that thread rests. However I do still express some concern that " man landed on the moon"

At least here we can express views other posters may seem weird, something we couldn't do in watchtower land. Even if it does result in some ridicule and humiliation....

Now if I hit my head with a brick I may believe some of the noncence I once believed.

The Rebel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The Rebel - "What has the Watchtower reading material done to YOU?"

Made me stop wanting to read it.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I have been reading more than ever but now it's from a different viewpoint. So I can reaffirm that everything is biased and "the answers" are full of holes. It's also interesting to see how dumbed down the newer mags are and some the illustrations are just ridiculous.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was in from birth until I was 58. I now cannot read their puerile nonsense without wanting to vomit.

They constantly use mind control techniques and fallacious arguments, along with half truths, misquotes and the odd downright lie.

I no more wish to read their literatrash than I would want to read the thoughts of Klu Klux Klan members.

• sir82
    sir82

It made me intellectually lazy, something I have been struggling with ever since.

Attempting to engage in critical analysis of the writing was viewed as "apostate thinking", a lack of faith, an act of disloyalty to God himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit