What is Race?

by Marcos 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Years ago, I had a talk on the school about "are the black race cursed?" In doing research, IN THE WTS PUBLICATIONS, I came across an old article (really old) saying that the black race were inferior mentally, and that they had smaller brains, proving diminished intelligence. They believed that sometime in the past. I didn't use that quote, but I never forgot their ignorance either.

• Marcos
    Marcos

Aluminutty and Wednesday,

I didnt know that I was up with current knowledge! But, I had heard somewhere that that was the case; that is to say that there is no such thing as race. I also base my belief on what is stated in the Bible.

I had mentioned before in another post that most of the nations I have visited are very race conscious. Japan is a pretty good case in point. I was asked several times what it was like to live in such a racist country as the US. My reply was that it is much like living in Japan. SHOCK! The Japanese believe that racism does not exist in Japan. It does. Against ethnic Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese, Caucasians and, especially against Japanese (hyphenated) Anything.

Japanese Americans, Canadians, etc. are given a very hard time when they try to live in Japan. They look right but they dont act right. They dont speak Japanese right. They are often regarded as traitors for having been born in another country.

Caucasians are patronized to death. Non-Japanese are regarded as mentally defective.

In reality, not all Japanese are this way. But, it is common enough to become very irritating after a while. BTW, I love Japan and the Japanese (all on a case-by-case basis). But the point is, what they think doesnt exist is very evident (racism).

Mulan,

I still remember black Kingdom Halls in the 60s and the attitudes of the white brothers. And the Society MANDATED it even when the laws of the land changed. Not for long but combining Kingdom Halls was discouraged if not forbidden for a time. As I remember, someone wrote to me from my parents KH in Texas while I was in Bethel to tell me how they had finally combined with the colored congregation and how that person knew I would be happy to hear it. I was but thought it should have been done sooner.

In Bethel I saw the racist treatment of the black brothers as well as the attitude regarding all who didnt speak English. Knorr once stated (please correct me if I am wrong) that since there were only a few witness families in China that the whole race (nation) would be destroyed at Armageddon. If they didnt want to be destroyed they should learn English! And, somehow I seem to remember some implied criticism of the few witness families something akin to him saying that they should work harder. Maybe just my faulty (read: old) memory.

Marcos

• crownboy
    crownboy

From dictionary.com:

race
    P

Pronunciation Key (rs)
    n.

1.A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical
    characteristics.
    2.A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German
    race.
    3.A genealogical line; a lineage.
    4.Humans considered as a group.
    5.Biology.
    a.An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in
    the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
    b.A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
    6.A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.

There is very little genetic variance between races. Aside from the obvious phenotypical differences that arised out of environmental pressures, there isn't much that distinguishes one human from another.

The fact that all the human races can interbreed with one another is a sign of just how short of time the "races" have devolped apart from one another. We share close to 99% of our genes with the great apes; but this is still enough variance to preclude mating, as well as to establish very profound differences between us. I think I've read somewhere that there is less gene variance between humans than there is between between members of most other species. Of course, these facts haven't discouraged some from trying to create their own differences between races, one of the more hot button issues being "intelligence". However, studies showing inherant racial superiorities in this area have been questionable at best and highly spurrious at worst. I don't doubt that intelligence is hertiable to a certain extent, but IMO there isn't much reason to believe that intelligence is a highly heritable racial quality.

I enjoyed both of your posts, Marcos. Very insightful.

Edited by - crownboy on 16 January 2003 19:8:43

• Marcos
    Marcos

Why, thank you, Crownboy.

And to all others who have contributed to this thread.

I did not really ask the question rhetorically. Your answers have given me insight into something that I have actually wondered about.

I see, and am encouraged by the thought that we really are not so different. It has been my contention but I had never really researched the topic enough to be sure.

Thanks, Marcos

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well, as long as people want to be part of a special group, race will just be one of many categories they can put themselves in. Obviously a difference exists - but is it significant? Why would it be significant? That's all you have to ask. But hey, aside from broad tribal identifications like race and culture, we can always resort to the individual arrogance thing. I saw a bumper sticker today that says something like: "You are unique - just like everybody else." Go ego!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: What is Race?

It's what those Asians eat all the time. Oh, that's RICE! Nevermind!

Farkel

• Introspection
    Introspection

Being the health conscious guy that I am, I prefer brown rice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit