MLKing Day

by teejay 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• teejay
    teejay
    I'd rather have a Malcolm X day. I think he was a man of conscience and principle. -- Azzy

I could not agree more, Sis.

Malcolm was and always will be The Man. A birf-day for Malcolm here in America, tho? Not gonna happen, Sis.

Sometimes servants ride on horses while their betters walk -- if they are lucky. I read that somewhere once.

• sableindian
    sableindian

When I was in association with WTB and my children were going to school, it was frowned on to participate in Black History. It was considered worldly. Strange, when it comes to historians, scientists, etc. It is rare that I read a quote from the WTB.

Rarer still for a comment about MLK Jr. Of those who suffered the most for the sake of "the people" of all races, Martin suffered the most. Malcolm had the most charisma. But I love them both...still.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Teejay, I read "the Autobiography of Malcolm X" when I was in high school and it is still among my all time favorite books. I think he was an amazing person and he should be celebrated in this nation as the true visionary he was. Won't happen, I know, but I have a dream....

~Aztec

btw: Love the quote! Agreed!

Edited by - Aztec on 15 January 2003 22:58:3

• bigboi
    bigboi

Martin Luther King was one of the most profound orators and thinkers of his generation. His eloquent appeals to the hearts and consciences of ALL Americans is an example worthy of imitiation. In spite of some of the questions concerning his moral character in some of the preceeding years, his legacy and the fruits thereof still loom large. He used his considerable talents to fight a cause that wasn't very popular and stepped in the forefront when many ppl older and wiser than he would not. That certainly says something about the man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit