Reversal of disfellowshipping on appeal?

by Searchin50 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Searchin50
    Searchin50

Does someone here know of a case where an individual was dfd

and then appealed and the decision was reversed? I have never

heard of that before and was just curious.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Never heard of it either.

• onacruse
    onacruse

It happens about as often as asteroids hit the earth.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41941&site=3

Craig

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In my time as an elder serving on committees there were two occassions that I was involved in .

Both were young women (Was that relevant?) , both was for immorality and the grounds for the successful appeal was that the original committee had not taken full account of their claim of repentence. In short , the appeal committee gave the benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally, there is no finer way to really annoy an elder than to have his decision to d/f ,overturned by another committee! Especially since they now have to look after them and organise a programme of assistance

Sadly, I observed in both cases that the elders held a grudge against these sisters , nothing they could do was right from that day forward

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

I can tell you that in my own case, I came close.

The original judicial committee was 2-1 for DF'ng me. The presiding brother told me at the time of the decision meeting that he had to be pursuaded by the other two "but that in the end he concurred"

The appeal committee "recommended" that I not be disfellowshipped. Unfortunately, according to the Flock Book and org procedure, the appeal committee does not simply overturn the original decision (as in a court of law) but can only make the recommendation.

Since, the original committee did not want to accept the recommendation of the appeal committee, I was told that the matter was "pending" and a letter from both committees was drafted and sent to Bethel.

Four months later there was still no decision and after inquiry my elders found out it hadn't been sent to Bethel afterall. So finally it was sent. Shortly afterwards I was told it had come back and I would be DF'd.

When you think about it though I was DF'd despite 4 out of the 6 brothers (from both committees) feeling that I should not be DF'd.

--Eduardo

PS: that was my personal experience. I would say that absent of some very serious and clear case of bias or error of the original committee, that BETHEL would agree with the Apellate committee has occurred then it would be highly unlikely that the original committee would just reverse itself upon the recommendation of the appellate committee--few persons are truly that humble and Elders seldom are.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Blues: You didn't say, and it's nomb so pardon me for asking, but were you on the original committees in those cases or on the appeal committees? If you were on the original committees, again nomb to ask, but how did you feel about the original decisions and subsequent reversals?

I ask because my last series of JC meetings were deadlocked for a long time because one elder had the balls to resist intense pressure from the other two to df me. I'm curious, therefore, about how often this happens and how it plays into the appeal considerations.

Craig

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know of one. I used to clean houses, and was in a new job, when the owners arrived home (they had hired me over the phone). I recognized them immediately, as a couple who were JW's, that I had seen at assemblies. So, I asked. They confirmed, but said they didn't attend anymore. Their name floored me, because I remembered hearing about their case. He had been disfellowshipped for involving many elderly witnesses in an investment that turned sour. So, I asked about that. (I was still a very loyal dub, in those days).

They proceeded to tell me about how he appealed the df'ing and won, and it had been reversed. He was innocent, and lost a ton of money too. He was only guilty of giving bad advice. He said he threatened to sue the congregation, and now wanted nothing to do with a religion that would do that to it's members. He and his wife were lifelong witnesses, about 50 at the time. I wish I could remember their last name.

I asked around, after I got home, and it was accurate. He had been disfellowshipped, and it was reversed..............AFTER it was announced.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Mulan:

He said he threatened to sue the congregation

Of course, we can all rest assured that this had nothing to do with their decision, eh?

Craig

• rocky220
    rocky220

Reversal of any decision WT makes is admitting they were wrong!....It will never happen...arrogance runs too deep!........the only thing i'm seeing that will soften their astringent ways is the prospect of getting lots of $$$$$$$$$$......rocky220

• alamb
    alamb

I appealed my df'ing, partly due to never hearing a solid charge...other than "uncontrollable woman." At the appeal hearing they admitted that mistakes had been made and accusations were false after I called in their witnesses against me and questioned them making them contradict each other. Anyway, they reversed the decision after which I stood up, shook their hands and disassociated myself stating that I was df'ing them. That was one of my favorite moments...very liberating. They further recommended me for reinstatement 4 times but the original committee would not respond. hmmm.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit