Corporal punishment and JWs

by YellowLab 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

How many of you were spanked, beaten or in some other way physically corrected as a JW?

My mother used to beat me with her hands, shoes, belts and various other items within reach when I misbehaved. Many times it was borderline abuse.

Do JWs teach to beat their kids into submission using physical means?

• out4good3
    out4good3

My kid wasn't beaten, but I do remember forcing them to stand up in the back of the hall whenever they fell asleep during meetings. I came to my senses later though and defended their choice not to go to meetings anymore when my wife insisted during their teen years.

• Banshee
    Banshee

I and many other JW kids that I knew were spanked, whipped with belts, slapped, etc. by our JW parents and none of the JWs that I can remember being around really considered this abuse. I know better now.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I guess we were fortunate in that respect. I can rememeber maybe 3 incidents where I was spanked, and never in public, never in front of anyone. And to be honest, I think that the few times I was spanked, I probably deserved it. I certainly would not classify the spankings I received as abuse. We were never hit with belts or anything like that, though I remember very well watching other kids in the hall be "disciplined" and knowing that I was pretty lucky in that regard in the parent department. I remember that the PO's wife used to tell my mother that in service, she ouught to do what sister so-and-so did when her kids misbehaved - pull the car to the side of the road, take the kids behind the car, pull down their pants and beat them into submission. My mother never did, and I beleive that she told this woman to mind her own business. All this sage advice coming from someone who never had children, but was just a fountain of information on how children ought to be raised. My parents never punished us for falling asleep at the meetings, especially since if we did, it meant that we were up past our bed time and couoldn't help but fall asleep. Well, that and the fact that as long as I can remember, my dad took little naps during the meetings too. I remember being totally disgusted with this family that made a big public show of "discipline" I was probably only 10 or 12, but this family carried a big paddle with them to meetings - looked like a cutting board with a handle, and if their child so much as squirmed, they would drag them out, brandishing the paddle and you could hear the smacks through the whole hall. And they always sat right in the front of the hall, too. Never impressed me at all.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

My sister and I were beaten on a regular basis...Sometimes we were spanked just in case we did something when they weren't around....They used belts mostly....But I also remember my dad yanking the phone cord out of the phone and using that...ever had a coil shaped bruse?

Lisa

• Oreopandabear
    Oreopandabear

Out4good3, When I fell asleep during the meetings, I had to stand up at my seat. Did I mention that my parents always sat in either the 1st or 2nd row? Oreo

• Ed
    Ed

I've never heard the WTS recommend beating kids into submission as such, but they certainly do recommend corporal punishment as a means of discipline when needed. They also occasionally mention the scripture in Proverbs that points out that it's even better to try reasoning with them.

Some JWs have been known to use far more evil means of discipline than physical abuse... in one family I know, the father caught his son not singing the song at a meeting one night (a heinous crime), so when they got home he was forced to stand in front of the entire family and sing the whole song. Which he did with tears streaming down his face, according the father who still recounts this story with pride. When I heard this, I thought "You dick, you just made him hate singing more than ever. Good one."

• musky
    musky

Many kids were taken to the back of the hall, to the bathroom and spanked. HARD. What an echo!

That was years ago. Now, that doesent't happen anymore that I know of. At least not at the hall. It is funny how the bible is not supposed to change, but the rule on spankings far as the tower is concerned, seemed to have changed with the times.

• found
    found

Yes, it was pretty commonplace when I was growing up (late 60's thru early 80's) and most of the JW's seemed to endorse it. Now things have changed in the world in general regarding spanking and most JW's seemed to have followed suit. How well I remember "the belt" tho!

• animal
    animal

Hell yes.... all of the above, plus some. Same with the singing thing... I dont sing to this day, not even "happy birthday" to my kids.

I figure that someday, I will get the chance to repay the debt of the beatings to the elder that doled them out. I am patient, I can wait....

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit