Will they ever say "Peace and Security"?

by JH 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

With all the trouble around the world, do you think that one day we will hear "Peace and Security". We heard this so often when we were in the JW's, but no one knew how it could happen. I don't see any peace in the horizon. All I see is trouble spots all around the world.

But, If "Peace and Security" came about suddenly and unexpectedly, would this frighten you?

Edited by - JH on 14 January 2003 7:46:11

• raistlin_majere
    raistlin_majere

George Bush senior did once in a State of the Union address back in 1990.

Clinton did in his second term.

But the views of the JWs are lilted and twisted beyond recognition. The JWs rival and may even exceed the Catholic Church in violating small childrens sexuality.

We are on the verge of true peace and security. But not on the terms of Jehovahs Witnesses or thier Fascist Governing Body.

• JH
    JH

In the late 80's and very early 90's when I was there, alot of emphasis was put on the Peace and Security prophecy. But since, a brother told me that they don't talk about that anymore at the hall. I took his word for it, since I wasn't there anymore.

Those who still attend, do they still talk about Peace and Security?

• blondie
    blondie

Here are some quotes from the WTS publications.

*** w97 6/1 10 Jehovah-A God Who Reveals Secrets ***

Particularly since 1986, when an International Year of Peace was declared by the United Nations, the world has been full of talk about peace and security . Definite steps have been taken in an effort to secure world peace, apparently with a measure of success. Is this the entire fulfillment of this prophecy, or can we expect a future startling announcement of some sort? Jehovah will clarify that matter in his due time.

*** km 2/86 3 Help Others to Find True Peace and Security ***

The True Peace book takes note of the declaration by the United Nations that the year 1986 begins special efforts by world leaders toward peace and security. Referring to this declaration, the True Peace book says: " This, no doubt, is a step toward the fulfillment of Pauls . . . words. . . . Yet the prophecy shows that the time will come when the nations will declare that they have achieved a measure of peace and security."1 Thess. 5:3.

*** tp 5 1 True Peace and Security Near! ***

An interesting Bible prophecy stated that the time would come when world leaders would actually proclaim "peace and security!" In fact, when the United Nations declared 1986 an "International Year of Peace" it asked that organizations everywhere make a special effort from that year on to promote the goal of "peace, international security and cooperation." 1

*** tp 85 7 When Will the Foretold World Destruction Come? ***

30 Yet one more event will come as an unmistakable signal that world destruction is imminent. Of this the apostle Paul wrote: "Jehovahs day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. Whenever it is that they are saying: Peace and security! then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them . . . and they will by no means escape."1 Thessalonians 5:2, 3; Luke 21:34, 35.

The worlds leaders know that a nuclear war means virtual extinction. Also, critical problems such as pollution, the population explosion, and domestic problems demand attention and money. So they want to relax the strained international relations. An evidence of this is the proclamation by the United Nations of 1986 as the international year of peace and security. This, no doubt, is a step toward the fulfillment of Pauls above-quoted words. Of course, political negotiations and treaties are not making any real changes in people to cause them to love one another. They are not putting a stop to crime, nor are they eliminating disease and death. Yet the prophecy shows that the time will come when the nations will declare that they have achieved a measure of "peace and security." When that happens, then "sudden destruction" will come "instantly" upon those misleaders of mankind, along with all who put their trust in them.

*** tp 79 7 When Will the Foretold World Destruction Come? ***

The Proclaiming of "Peace and Security"

Leaders recognize the need for peace to avoid nuclear catastrophe and to address other growing problems.

A step in this direction is the proclamation by the United Nations of 1986 as the year of "peace, international security and cooperation."General Assembly, Agenda item 32, 39th session.
  • iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

For sure I'd s**t my pants, but after I'd changed them, and thought about it for minute or two I'm sure I'd be OK.

ig.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I was under the vague impression that they had started saying that the peace and security announcement was being made, that it wasn't a one-time thing, but that the prophecy had been fulfilled because various leaders were saying it in their speeches.

• acsot
    acsot
    Those who still attend, do they still talk about Peace and Security?

I haven't heard it in ages. Maybe the scripture (paraphrasing here): "when they are saying peace and security, destruction will come upon them" actually means that it's the JWs who will have destruction come upon them. I mean, their interpretations are wrong about every single other thing, or at least 97% of the things in the Bible. Why not that? Okay, I'm tired, I'm at work and need to get home soon.

• heathen
    heathen

In 1986 the UN security council declared a year of peace when all the religious leaders showed up and were oviously putting their trust in a man made organization to fulfill the prophesy of Isaiah that the UN claims it will .The scripture the Apostle wrote uses the term , " In the days the nations are saying peace and security sudden destruction will be upon them". Notice the plural days and not on the day . To this point they have failed miserably and continue to make they same claims they did back then as to the UN still being their hope for peace and security . Most interesting I think.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Gee I remember the hush at the district convention in 1986 when the UN announced it was the year of "Peace & Security", I think we had a Watchtower cover with it in bold letters. So they dont stress it now huh?

Do they still stress that we shall see the governments turn on babylon the great? The wild beast turning on the woman?

Interesting

Brummie

• Pronger
    Pronger

Well most Bible translations say "peace and safety" not "peace and security".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit