What Happened to Magazine Day?

by Blueblades 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Generally,Saturday is designated as Magazine Day.Street Magazine work may also be engaged in.The more people that read our Magazines the better our preaching of the Kingdom good news will be.

So what happened to Magazine Day?I remember when we used to " BLITZ "a four block area in a short period of time on Saturday mornings.Not anymore,we can't let them apostates get anymore of our Magazines! Stop the subscriptions ! No more Magazine Day ! Be very careful and selective when charging I mean giving away free the Magazines. Blueblades

• blondie
    blondie

Blueblades, Saturday is still designated Magazine Day on the official WTS calendars. It is just that the elders do not take the lead in getting magazine territory and doing door to door themselves. The elders in the congregations take off to conduct bible studies or to make RVs and leave the MS stuck taking the group out. The group gets in the car and everyone says, "Let's do RVs."

Blondie

• jimbob
    jimbob

I can definitely vouch for what Blondie said. In the two years prior to leaving the borg, I NEVER did any door to door. It was always RV's. And I never drove, so it was always left up to whoever's car we were in as to what we did. I worked with elders and ministerial servants, and they never did door to door. It was always.....do a couple of RV's....then take a half hour break (this could be coffee and doughnuts or a full breakfast at Denny's)....do one more RV..then back to the hall to be dropped off. This was the same scenerio time after time. Nobody does door to door anymore.....except for maybe a few diehard pioneers during the week.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: In the two years prior to leaving the borg, I NEVER did any door to door. It was always RV's.

How did you do any RV's if you never went door-to-door? Where did you get those RV's?

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Where did you get those RV's?

Heirloom studies!

• longtimeout
    longtimeout

I know what's happened to "Magazine Day" where I live. It's been relegated to a circuit of donut shops, my health club, laundromats, and other public places where these rags are unceremoniously dumped for this "life saving work". Years ago, we were always instructed to carefully place these in the field with householders to maximize the effectiveness of our "ministry". I guess the Borg's new pay-in-advance "donation" arrangement has changed the sales dynamic.

• troucul
    troucul

I used to go bowling

• herself
    herself

Gosh, I remember back in the 1950s and 60s people standing on street corners holding up the magazines. It was wild down there then. On Friday nights the bible thumpers came out screaming that we were all going to hell. I worked on the third floor of a department store, and I could sit by the window on my breaks and hear them hollering.

Then on Saturdays the JWs would be standing in front of the store holding up the magazines.

Nothing like religion to bring out the fringe in all of us.

I never did RVs, always went out in door to door service. For some reason I loved it. Doors slammed in my face and insults only strengthened me in my resolve that we JWs were right and the rest of the world was ignorant.

H.S.

• Xena
    Xena

Well all I know is that my elder wanna be brother-in-law dragged my sister out in door to door work a WEEK after she is was in an accident that banged up her leg so bad the Dr. said it should have been broken.....but you know ya gotta get out there and hit those doors...the elders Jah is watching!

• jimbob
    jimbob

Farkel......

I only had one RV. We always did everyone else's in the car group. I usually would say either I already did mine, or I would just do the one. Since we maybe did 3 or 4 RV's all morning (because break took up a lot of time) having only 1 RV was never a problem. And besides, everyone else's RV's were always ones they had hung onto forever. I never remember anyone having a "new" call to go on.

Edited by - jimbob on 14 January 2003 11:4:12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit