Ever run into a DF'd person & didn't know it?

by DanTheMan 13 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

'Bout 3 or 4 years before I left the borg I ran into a dub acquaintance that I hadn't seen in a while while grocery shopping. I was at her congo for 5+ years, and she knew who I was. As I approached her she quickly looked away and started looking at some items on the shelf. I went up and talked to her for a few seconds, and it seemed like she felt uncomfortable talking with me. I didn't think about it at the time, but later I wondered to myself if she was DF'd. She wasn't a spiritually strong (tm) sister, it wouldn't have been a big surprise if she had gotten busted by Mama Tower for something or another. I never did find out whether she was DF'd or not, and really I didn't care.

Another time, I made a phone call to the active-JW parents of the girl who had "witnessed" to me in college. She disassociated herself not too long after I got baptized. Well, she answered the phone when I called. I talked to her for a few minutes, just small talk, and then I said, "wait a minute, I'm not supposed to be talking to you, am I?" How weird was that? She was/is a weak, low self-esteem type of person, so she just laughed uncomfortably and got her mom. I wish she would have confronted me a little bit for saying that.

I never could get into the shunning thing. Even at the KH I always tried to say hi to DF'd ones. It all seemed so bizarre. Disfellowshipping was something that I didn't have a very complete understanding of when I got dunked, and it was a big factor in my leaving.

Edited by - dantheman on 13 January 2003 20:26:34

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

I talk to DF'ed people ALL the time!!!!

• Buster
    Buster

It seems I have been running into dubs and x-dubs a lot lately.

A couple months ago, while I was at the gym, my seven-year-old son was playing with his close friend from across the street. When the neighbor's mother, Julie, came over to bring him home. Julie and my wife sat for a few and had a glass of wine. They started discussing religion because Julie's husband is pushing for their son to have a Catholic upbringing.

Ok, so you probably know where this is going. Julie wasn't sure what to do, she had no religious affiliation, though she had a strict religious upbringing. So she told my wife she grew up a JW, a third generation jw no less. She left when she got pregnant in high school.

I now call her Sister Daly. She calls me Brother Smith.

Next door neighbors, seven-year-old sons best friends, sixteen-year-old daughters good friends - check that out.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

So Buster, is Julie deprogrammed, or is she a guilt-ridden, 'I'm a failure' ex-jw?

• Buster
    Buster

She is totally deprogrammed. She did get a big kick when I showed her my collection of old WTS books and CDs of the first 30 years of Watchtowers. It was particularly fun to show her my old book bag - I got it as a baptism present in '74.

She didn't seem at all interested in discussing specifics - mostly interested in keeping it behind her - when I showed her the Apostacy shelf. Her dad is an elder and both of her granddads were (I guess that means they aren't any more, though I'm not positive) elders. She thought she might see if her dad wants to talk to me some day when he visits. They live close by, I think they go to a hall in Vancouver. We'll see.

Edited by - buster on 13 January 2003 20:53:46

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

Buster; that's an intresting story; thaqt would be good if you could talk to her father etc. i think you will be able to take some of the knots out of his BRAIN... on the other hand, you might burn his mind out with your intelligents... be will .john

• Buster
    Buster

I think it would be fun to talk to her dad. I'll look for an opportunity.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

My threads never go anywhere.

WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Edited by - dantheman on 14 January 2003 0:1:47

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

dantheman,

I ran into a friend of mine in the food court at the mall one day after work. Actually, Debbie saw me first. I was feeling soooo sad and on the verge of tears, as I sat and picked at my cardboard mozzaburger and sipped on my rootbeer. It was very shortly after my df'ing and I was feeling ungrounded and disconnected. My mom had died only a few months before as well. Besides grieving for my mom, I was also grieving the loss of my kids association, and still reeling from the sudden disfellowshipping. I couldn't believe how fast the elders had turned against me. I hated this feeling of being so alone and isolated from what I perceived to be "my world". I felt such an emptiness.

I heard a friendly voice, "Hi, Esther!"

I looked up . . .and into a smiling familiar face. . . here was someone I had known several years ago in dub-ville. Hadn't seen her for a long time. . .maybe a couple of years. That is just about how long ago since I had been a regular meeting attender, at that time in August 1999.

"Hi. . . Debbie," I said, hesitantly. . .I knew that if she heard that I was now disfellowshipped, she would turn away from me in horror.

"So. . .you still goin' to those meetings?" she asked me. Hmmmm. . . I thought. . .she must not have heard about my df'ing.

"No," I replied. . ."You?"

"I DA'd myself last year!" she replied happily.

"Really?" I could hardly see her face because of the tears in my eyes. I couldn't say more than that at the moment, . . or I would have burst out sobbing. Somehow I found the words to invite her to sit down with me and join me for coffee.

I did start to sob quietly. I told her how glad I felt that she stopped to talk with me. I was so lost in my thoughts that if she hadn't approached me, I would have never even seen her. She told me about how she came to her decision to disassociate from the WT. Then I told her that I was newly disfellowshipped and feeling so very . . .very. . .what's the word my mom used when she felt disoriented? . . .displaced. . .

She told me about the book, "Crisis of Conscience". She had a copy and offered to lend it to me for a read. Said it would help me gain a new perspective on the organization, and help me to survive this very rough and lonely time in my life.

I told her about my mom dying only weeks before the elders decision was handed down to disfellowship me. The elders had demonstrated such a lack of mercy and compassion that I felt a shock and disbelief around the entire month of events that led up to their final decision to df me.

Debbie was very understanding with me and sympathetic. I appreciated her friendship. We had been friends in the borg. . .and here we were, both outside the borg now. . .reacquainting ourselves. It felt wonderful to talk to someone so caring and compassionate.

We exchanged phone numbers and email addresses. . .and promised to be in touch with each other. I left the food court with her, smiling. I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

My conclusion is that the rule about shunning works very effectively. . .in keeping disfellowshipped or disassociated ones apart and alienated from each other. Since that time in the food court, I have made a point to say hi to any and all jws that I see. I think that if any of them left, as I did. . . I would not want to miss the opportunity of getting to know them all over again. . .this time on the outside of the cult.

Debbie and I remain close friends. We exchange Christmas and birthday gifts and cards. We get together for other occasions, as well . . . And I am sure that I thank her every time I see her . . .for stopping to talk with me that day in the food court. . .

Love,

Esther

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Wow, touching story Esther!

Glad she found you and gave you CofC, or else you might have gone groveling back to that pathetic excuse for a religion!

Since that time in the food court, I have made a point to say hi to any and all jws that I see. I think that if any of them left, as I did. . . I would not want to miss the opportunity of getting to know them all over again. . .this time on the outside of the cult.

Excellent, I will put this into practice. I don't run into dubbies very often though as I moved right around the same time I DA'd.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit