Another death in our family

by Mulan 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

While we were in Hawaii, we learned of another death in our extended family. Our niece, my brother's daughter, had a stepson who died unexpectedly on January 1. Such a tragedy. He was a well known musician, in our area, so it made the newspaper here. Just sharing.

Luis Gonzales: Jazz player was Roosevelt star

By Paul de Barros
    Seattle Times

When Luis Gonzales was 7 years old, his grandmother came to Seattle from New Mexico for a three-week visit.

"When we went to the airport to pick her up," recalled Luis' father, Julin, "Luis made up his mind he was going to learn to swim before she left. That was a Wednesday. By Saturday, he was swimming. That's the way he always was. When he put his mind to something, he just did it."

Mr. Gonzales died suddenly, on New Year's Day, of a perforated bleeding ulcer. An alumnus of the award-winning Roosevelt High School Jazz Band and a professional jazz bassist, he was 23 years old.

For the past three years, Mr. Gonzales had been playing on the Queen of the West, a Columbia River cruise ship. He was found dead in the bathroom of his stateroom. He apparently did not know he was sick, nor did anyone else. He had just applied to the New School, in New York.

"I have a film from Thanksgiving," said his mother, Charlotte Selness, of Seattle. "He didn't look sick. He looked happy, healthy and content." No drugs or alcohol were found in Mr. Gonzales' system.

Born Nov. 23, 1979, in Seattle, Luis started playing violin at Sand Point Elementary School in fourth grade and switched to bass at Eckstein Middle School. At Roosevelt, he played in jazz band from 1995-97, under the direction of Scott Brown, touring Mexico and Europe.

"Luis spoke fluent Spanish," recalled Brown. "When we went to Mazatlan, he was always talking to the little kids on the street. He was a very good player. He learned to swing on that European trip."

On Monday, more than 100 former high-school jazz-band players from Roosevelt and Garfield gathered at the Porta Greek Tavern in Seattle for a lively jam session, in Mr. Gonzales' honor. Mr. Gonzales' half-brother, Ryan Cross, played bass. Other classmates on the stand included trumpeter Jumaane Smith, drummer Phil Parisot and guitarist Andy Coe.

According to Cross, after high school, Mr. Gonzales went into a "downward spiral" of alcohol and drugs and did not play music. After a serious car accident, in 1999, however, he moved in with Cross in Los Angeles. Mr. Gonzales began studying with bassist John Clayton, Cross' teacher at the University of Southern California.

"From then on, he just went to the sky," said Cross.

Three of his four surviving half-siblings are working musicians: bassists Cross and Philip Wright and violinist Kenneth Wright. His half-sister is Victoria.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Mulan:

I was so sorry to read of this. It sounds like he was a well-trained and well-loved muscian and friend. My thoughts are with your brother's family.

CG

• termite 35
    termite 35

Mulan; I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you can comfort your niece in some way.

All my love to you both.Thinking of you.xxx

• outnfree
    outnfree

Aw, what a shame!

It is so hard to bury a child! And one who had picked himself up from the bootstraps and went on to pursue his passion, too...

(((((Mulan and extended family)))))))

out

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Sorry to hear about this Mulan. Such a talented young man! I know your family is going to miss him, but remember that he did a lot for the music world in his short life span.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Mulan, so sorry for your loss of this bright young man. My condolences to you and your family.

• mouthy
    mouthy

(((((((((((((((((Mulan))))))))))))

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((((((((((((((((Mulan)))))))))))))))))

I'm so very sorry to hear of your nephew's death. Words escape me now.......I'm very touched and saddened for you and your family.

I'm sending this link to my son who is a jazz musician and a year younger than Luis, he may know of him or some of the other musicians mentioned. He would want to know about this.

Katie

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

((((((Mulan and Family))))) We are sorry to hear about your loss

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry about your loss.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit