Ah maght be unejuamakaitud

by Marcos 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I was born in Binghamton, New York and my parents moved themselves and me to Texas when I was 18 months old, thank God !!

A yankee by birth, but a Texan by the grace of God !!

• Francois
    Francois

Think about it. When Hollywood wants to portray stupid and inbred, they give 'em a southern accent. I don't think that's any different than saying that blacks have rhythym, love to eat watermellon, are naturally criminal, lazy, and dumb and wouldn't know when to stop deleted without an orgasm.

However, as we all know, it's perfectly OK to stereotype the white anglo-saxon male in this country, even though they have made it what it is today by force of their work ethic, their imaginations, willingness to try again when they fail, and to fight and die to protect themselves their wives and children, their neighbor, and their country. Don't you just love liberals and the way they can redefine anything they want when it's expedient?

Edited by - Englishman on 13 January 2003 19:3:52

• shera
    shera

I don't think where a person is from ...(north or south),is what makes them know right from wrong or how intelligent they are.

There is sickos in the north and south,anywhere in the world.Doesn't matter what accent a person has.

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

I just couldn't resist. Please take no offence to this.....

The 40 Things Never Said By Southerners

40. Oh I just couldn't. Hell, she's only sixteen.
    39. I'll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex.
    38. Duct tape won't fix that.
    37. Lisa Marie was lucky to catch Michael.
    36. Come to think of it, I'll have a Heineken.
    35. We don't keep firearms in this house.
    34. Has anybody seen the sideburns trimmer?
    33. You can't feed that to the dog.
    32. I thought Graceland was tacky.
    31. No kids in the back of the pickup, it's just not safe.
    30. Wrasslin's fake.
    29. Honey, did you mail that donation to Greenpeace?
    28. We're vegetarians.
    27. Do you think my gut is too big?
    26. I'll have grapefruit and grapes instead of biscuits and gravy.
    25. Honey, we don't need another dog.
    24. Who's Richard Petty?
    23. Give me the small bag of pork rinds.
    22. Too many deer heads detract from the decor.
    21. Spittin is such a nasty habit.
    20. I just couldn't find a thing at Walmart today.
    19. Trim the fat off that steak.
    18. Cappuccino tastes better than espresso.
    17. The tires on that truck are too big.
    16. I'll have the arugula and radicchio salad.
    15. I've got it all on the C drive.
    14. Unsweetened tea tastes better.
    13. Would you like your salmon poached or broiled?
    12. My fiance, Bobbie Jo, is registered at Tiffany's.
    11. I've got two cases of Zima for the Super Bowl.
    10. Little Debbie snack cakes have too many fat grams.
    09. Checkmate.
    08. She's too young to be wearing a bikini.
    07. Does the salad bar have bean sprouts?
    06. Hey, here's an episode of "Hee Haw" that we haven't seen.
    05. I don't have a favorite college team.
    04. Be sure to bring my salad dressing on the side.
    03. I believe you cooked those green beans too long.
    02. Those shorts ought to be a little longer, Darla.
    01. Nope, no more for me. I'm drivin tonight.

• Marcos
    Marcos

Thanks for all of the comments.

My comments (which may be long and uninteresting) are these:

Ive lived in virtually every region of the US except for Alaska and Hawaii. The majority of my American relatives are from the South (Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas). When in the US I noticed a lot of prejudice based on the area one comes from.

Many people in the North do equate a southern accent with a person being stupid. I find the attitude (on a personal basis) rather objectionable. But, then, Hollywood does the same for people with certain northern accents (i.e. Brooklyn, Queens (the Nanny), certain areas of Boston (Good Will Hunting the Southies)).

No one has really mentioned anything about my 3 rd point relating to Mexico and Latin America.

Let me preface this by saying that I find generalizations (even the sweeping kind) to be useful. I believe that we all use them to a certain extent. In my estimation they fall down in relation to the individual. However, this idea of generalizing is not just an American phenomenon. It exists in every country that I have visited.

In Japan, I was in a situation in which I had to learn to speak acquire literacy in Japanese. As a generalization, I found the Japanese people to be patronizing and deliberately rude. Why? Because of the things they would say about me (an obvious foreigner) when they thought I did not understand what they were saying. And later, when they KNEW that I could understand and speak, I was treated to the talking monkey treatment, as I call it (Isnt that cute! Look! It can talk!). People would be so surprised that I could speak to them and that they could understand me that they would be shocked into silence at times. Then they would often begin to comment to each other about me as if I were not there because, as all Japanese people know, foreigners simply are incapable of speaking Japanese. I have seen someone almost have a heart attack on the street when, after having spoken to them on the phone to make an appointment to meet, they would encounter me in person.

There are many other examples of outright rudeness and patronization but my point lies in another direction.

On an individual level, the people who belonged to the same group as I thought nothing of me being able to talk and to interact as a member of the group. It was expected of me.

On an individual person-to-person level, I found the Japanese to be genuine, sincere and extremely loyal friends.

Moving on to my country, Mexico. Where I live in Southern Mexico, the vast majority of people are very dark. I am not. In the urban areas like Mexico City, my physical appearance is rather unremarkable. But here, the assumption is that, since my skin is white and I have blue eyes, that I am somehow mentally deficient and not from here. I dont fit the type of person that could possibly be a local. So I am stared at and often made fun of when some clown thinks I dont understand him or her. It doesnt help much that my accent IS different. Mine is more northern, closer to they way people talk in Chihuahua or Nuevo Leon (2 of the northern states) and modified by having lived in other Spanish speaking countries.

When I go to Cuba, I catch flack because I dont fit the stereotype of a Mexican. So, obviously, I cant be Mexican (that is to say, Im not brown enough or short enough). I commented to the guy who said this that he probably wasnt really a Cuban because he was not black (another stereotype). He didnt like it very much.

In the US, I look right but I dont talk or act right. Apparently citizenship isnt enough for someone to be accepted (true in the US AND in Mexico). You have to fit the stereotype. I believe that now in the US, the Dept. of Census has determined that, for example, the term Hispanic does not refer to a race but to a culture. Hispanic includes people from 2 extremes, black to white as well as people who are brown.

Well, heres my point. I think we all tend to be a little too uptight about stereotyping and generalization. It is a common practice throughout the world. What really matters is how we treat and relate to the individual. Stereotypes are useful for cataloging things in the sense of knowing how to react in general to given situations. For example, it is good to generalize that if you are in Paris, France, the language of choice for most people will be French.

But it is dangerous to assume that, if someone has a Japanese name (for example) then that person must be sent to an interment camp for the duration of the war because he/she is a definite security risk.

I think that it is good to maintain a sense of humor when confronted by statements that can be construed as demeaning. Lets give the speaker the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if someone here gets out of line regarding such issues, they dont seem to last long. We all know the difference between a tongue-in-cheek observation and a direct, ethnic slam.

So, go ahead and slam me. Teach me the error of my point of view.

But just remember, Its ok to hate the French. EVERYBODY hates the French!

Marcos (of the Im partially of French descent class)

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Francois-

Was this entire analogy appropriate geez:

blacks have rhythym, love to eat watermellon, are naturally criminal, lazy, and dumb and wouldn't know when to stop fucking without an orgasm.

I think we all got the point without the last part. I know it was only meant to show people's ignorance but it stung nonetheless. I know others will say I'm overreacting but geez the point could've been made w/o all of that.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LOL at EldersKids,,,,,,,,,,,,,, way too funny,,,,,,,, and dagnabit,,,,,,, painfully true,,,,,but more true for people living in Arkansas,,,,,,,,heheh,,,,,, well for those of us in Louisiana,,,( the bottom of the barrel),,,,,,,,,, ya gotta pick on someone.

Oh and duct tape does fix everything. Tried, tested to the full and proven to be 100% reliable.

And if you drink 1 beer or 15,,,,,,,,,,,driving is not effective whatsoever.......well that is the rumor anyway...........

• nilfun
    nilfun
    I know others will say I'm overreacting

No, you aren't. Nothing wrong with letting someone know when their words sting.

I think that it is good to maintain a sense of humor when confronted by statements that can be construed as demeaning. Lets give the speaker the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if someone here gets out of line regarding such issues, they dont seem to last long. We all know the difference between a tongue-in-cheek observation and a direct, ethnic slam.

Yes, we all know the difference...or do we? Sometimes tongue-in-cheek doesn't translate too well via this meduim.

I discovered The Four Agreements thanks to a post made by Sabine a while back.

1. Be impeccable with your word
    2. Don't take things personally
    3. Don't make assumptions
    4. Always do your best

I have found that remembering numbers 2 and 3 tends to take the sting out of some of the things I read here...

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Nilfun-

I know all of those things, and they are absolutely true! I still think his last statement was unnecessary, but I'm not going to dwell on it or anything. I realize that he was simply making an analogy, and doesn't feel that way himself; it just stung a little is all.

• nilfun
    nilfun

I also thought it was unnecessary...and ugly to boot. But some stuff on this board is like that. I can look at it with a sense of humor and laugh. I can ignore it. I can question a person's motivation for their choice of words. I can look at it from the other person's point of view and try to understand. Or not.

he was simply making an analogy, and doesn't feel that way himself

I don't know Francois or how he feels. He has a swell beard, though.

*shrugs and flashes a good-natured smile*

I'm glad you aren't going to dwell on it; neither am I...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit