Missing the UK

by DiscoSandy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Alright, Sandy,

I am originally from England but live in Minnesota (last 7 1/2 years). I miss some things from England, pretty much the same as you.

) a good curry - I make my own, if I had my way every night would be curry night!

2) Eastenders - Yuk, depressing program, available on both PBS channels in the Twin Cities, but about 2 years behind.

3) pub lunches (ESPECIALLY drinking a pint at lunch !) - Nothing like a pub lunch and a pint or two!!!

4) saying "bloody" this and "bloody" that. I never did because I was a JW, sometimes say "bloody hell" now when I want to be British.

5) being called "lovey" -- Nope, never called that.

6) walking in the countryside (I'm a rambler at heart) - Yes, I loved the Cotswolds.

7) picking up a paper from the local newsagent -- Not bothered

8) a proper pot of tea -- I can still make decent tea.

9) a good dose of sarcasm - Like I miss it too.

10) okay, I admit it, Graham Norton - Graham who? I have a celendar featured on his show (TV?) Round-a-bouts of Redditch, a Christmas present from my sister, it hangs in my cube at work. Sadly I know the 11 of the 12 round-a-bouts (traffic circles) featured.

Cheers,

Thirdson

• badwillie
    badwillie

I lived in N.London from 1991-99.

I miss:

* Only Fools and Horses

* Late night BBC shows (i.e. that music show with Jools Holland..?)

* Strolling around Covent Garden

* Regents Park in the Spring

* Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square on a hot summer night after a movie.

* Fish and chips/Kebabs in Stoke Newington.

.... too mention only a few.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I have it in my heart to move to Madeira in about 10 years, but I know I will miss:

*Saturday afternoons watching the football scores coming through.

*Last night of the Proms.

*Pubs, oh yes, pubs, ask any visitor what they think about an English pub.

*Spring in all it's astonishing beauty.

*Watching the cricket - especially those matches that last for several days.

*Double-decker buses.

*Milk on the doorstep every morning.

*Fish & Chips.

*Apple crumble and custard.

*Friends & neighbours.

Englishman.

Edited by - Englishman on 12 January 2003 7:6:26

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You're a romantic, Eman! But it sounds "jolly nice"!

Cheers, Ozzie

• mouthy
    mouthy

I miss England also. But mine is a little differant "misses" Jellied eels! or Pies-Mash & eels in liquer.Oh! I sure do miss that .Yes fish & chips & a wally.Rossie's ice cream at Southend.The warm summers,Not scorching hot like here.& listening to the Hyde Park blokes who talk about matters of the day on their soap boxes....Yes !the loveys, but in Dagenham they say cocks. "Watcha cock" ! is a greeting that many use. But on coming to Canada I learned that was a no-no .Also -I learned that you dont tell folk they are homely( which in England meant comfy) here means ugly..

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mouthy,

I have tried jellied eels a couple of times, once from a street barrow, once from Tesco's. They're OK, it's just the sucking them off the bone that's a bit tricky.

Englishman.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Tricky!! sucking em off the bone??? send me a pint I'll have no trouble. The best place to buy them is at East Ham.in Essex the fellow stands out side the shop & puts them in boiling water then takes them out & chops them ready for cooking-Even THAT didn't turn me off.

I am jealous Englishman!!!!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I used to know a girl who could suck 'em off the bone. Most popular girl at school. Amongst the males anyway.

Expatbrit

• mouthy
    mouthy

O.K. Mate-Expatbrit!Englishman - I am at this very moment going to report you to headquarters-for DF...

I didnt even catch on to the "inner meanings you two were implying-DAH!!!! No wonder some on here call me a "sexy hot granny" It is you wicked ex elders who are leading this poor little innocent granny astray!!!!!! >>>>>>>>>>See this I am shunning you<<<<<<<<<<<<<<lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit