Anyone tried any XBox mod chips?

by Simon 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

I'm thinking of getting a mod chip for my XBox now that there are solderless ones coming out - I can cope with taking apart a PC like device but I'm better at the 'theoretical' side of electronics when it comes to soldering.

Anyone tried them?

I was thinking of fitting a 120Gb drive (or similar) to load games on so the kids can just switch on and go. Obviously, I have no intention of renting games from Blockbuster or using my DVD writer in anyway

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I havent done anything with a Xbox but I did a handy bit of soldering on my mod for my old PS1. Quite easy, the key is to not hold the iron there for too long lest you burn a nearby chip or two.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Damn Simon! Where do you find the time?

• Work
    • Family
    • House / Car
    • JWD
    • Video Games
  • Simon
    Simon

A day in the life of ...

Work: Day job
    Work: Night and weekends on my own stuff (it's 1:00am in the morning now!)

... to pay bills, paying off debts and trying to save for move to Canada.

Family: rough and tumble with the lads from when I get in from work and them some games after dinner (operation, kerplunk, monopoly etc...) or made up games like 'treasure hunt'

JWD: An obsession! ... but a lot of the credit should really go to Angharad who does a lot of the work monitoring and alerting me to things. I normally check it for an hour or two in the morning and then after the kids are in bed.

Video Games: Sometimes, you just need a break! Halo, Wreckless or Command and Conquer (on the PC) just help me to unwind.

Edited by - Simon on 10 January 2003 20:32:46

• b_ster
    b_ster

Simon,

Where in Canada are you planning to move to?

Cheers,

b_ster

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Hi Simon,

Coming to Canada, eh? What area are you thinking of moving to?

Stan

• ISP
    ISP

Let us know if you get it sorted out, Simon...it would be cool to share a few games!

ISP

• Simon
    Simon

We're planning on movnig to just outside of Calgary, not too far from Lethbridge where my dad lives. Thinking into the future I think it would be a much better place for the kids to grow up than the UK. There are nice places here but you have to be better off to live there and there is a general air of 'decay' here and general lack of respect and care.

The only thing we are really unsure about is the winters but I guess it would be nice to have a real winter instead of the cold, damp things we get here ... I can't remember when we last had real, white snow and not slush.

I'll let you know how I get on ISP - I've seen some new ones that don't need soldering and look quite easy to fit. They let you play imported games (from other regions) as well as copied games. Also, you can replace the HDD with a bigger one and load games onto the HDD!

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Simon.. something of a problem that you might run into is that the games in Canada and the States run on NTSC format while Europe uses something completely different. There is no converter that I know of so your xbox (unless its of NTSC format) may not work when you get here.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I'll have to leave a few things behind ... but I can always get a new one when I'm over there !

A lot of TVs and stuff over here now support NTSC because the Region 1 media usually costs a lot less and comes out sooner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit