How did you feel when "your book" was discontinued?

by OverlappingGeneralizations 7 Replies latest jw friends

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations

I didn't know where to posts this, I hope "friends" is ok-

Anyway-

How did you feel when the book you studied in was deemed "discontinued"? For instance, when I was studying, I studied the Knowledge book. I loved that book back had my rose-colored "truth" glasses on. But, when I was out in service, at least I could stand behind that book. This was the book that "got me", and it could get you too!

Then they changed to the Bible Teach book. I didn't like it as much, and I didn't feel like I could represent it with conviction like I could the Knowledge book. But at least I still had my ol' Require brochure! Oops, they said not to use that one either.

Then we changed bibles too. I was so used to the way the scriptures sounded in the old translation. I knew right where to find key scriptures. Now, new book, new bible, new brochures, now even new tracts! I just felt disconnected...

Ugh. I don't know what I am getting at. I just feel like when they say the books and stuff we studied are not to be used anymore, it's like saying my foundation is not up to code. What I was "raised" on isn't right.

Now that I am waking up, I am seeing that none of it was right. But I just wonder, those of you that are still in, or remember what it was like, did you feel a strange sense of cut-off when they discontinued your book or your favorite "placement"?

• rebel8
    rebel8

When I was in school, I had textbooks that said "Negroes". Then it was changed to "colored", then "black". We had a session in the beginning of the school year when we had to sit there and cross out the old words and write in the new ones. There was some speech about how the old word is not nice and won't be allowed.

It seemed odd to have a word that was A-ok 3 months prior to suddenly be a bad word, but at least there was transparency.

In some respects, the avg dub is childlike in his unquestioning acceptance of what Mother Borg tells him. Yet he gets little closure or acknowledgement. He is usually left to figure out what changed so as not to make a misstep.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"How did you feel when "your book" was discontinued?"

Nostalgia?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    The "You Can Live Forever In Paradise on Earth" book was the one we used pioneering. I came in on the "Truth" book. I really liked the "United in Worship" book a lot. It was pragmatic and not as doctrinal. Ultimately when they drop a book its because some major thing has been changed and that is where the trouble comes in. I didn't agree with the changes for the most part and it seemed as if it were being dumbed down even more. Now we see its made absolutely moron magnetic!
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

I also liked the United in Worship book.

(The spine of that book is only too true in French, Spanish, etc.)

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2
    How far they have come since I studied "Let God Be True" and "The Truth Shall Set You Free..."
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

The reason I was given was that the " knowledge book " replaced the " live for ever book" was because the end was SO So near.

You see the " live for ever book" took two years to go through, however the " Knowledge" book could be completed in much less time....giving interested ones the time to be " Baptised" and so not " destroyed" at Armagedon....

Back to your O.P.:-

How did I feel about this?

A) it made perfect sence.

How do I now feel about this?

A) I am not sure my language complies with forum rules, so I won't use any other word than B...SH.T

The Rebel.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    I miss the 1984 songbook. Many of those songs fell victim to "new light".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit