JW's -- Is Jesus your Mediator?

by UnDisfellowshipped 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Ozzie,

That is a very interesting post, as is the 95 Awake article on the catacombs. I've been in the catacombs in Rome and is a very interesting site indeed.

My thoughts lay more towards the assumption that the 144,000 figure is a literal number.

Rome was not the only city that harboured Christian converts, the Apostle Paul alone visited many cities and countries, converting many to Christianity.

Congregations grew quickly. Letters to the congregations of Ephisus, Corinth , Galatia , and Thessalonica, to name but a few indicate conversions, visits to other countries and cities such as Syria , Crete, Malta , and Sicily etc. etc. the list goes on, all of which indicates a healthy Christian activity in those places. And thats only Paul, there would have been conversions in Africa , Egypt , Ethiopia etc.

So, my thinking is that given all those converts in all these places, surely the 144,000 figure, if taken literally would have been filled before the great Apostasy took hold and possibly even a few after.

Even in an ancient world without the aid of modern publishing techniques, the word still managed to get around.

Spartacus alone with the aid of 70-80 gladiators managed to raise an enormous army in a very short space of time.

73 BCE: Spartacus escaped with 70-80 gladiators, seizing the knives in the cook's shop and a wagon full of weapons. They camped on Vesuvius and were joined by other rural slaves, overrunning the region with much plunder and pillage, although Spartacus apparently tried to restrain them. His chief aides were gladiators from , named Crixus and Oenomaus.

72 BCE: Spartacus had raised about 70,000 slaves, mostly from rural areas. The Senate, alarmed, finally sent the two consuls (L. Gellius Publicola and Cn. Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus), each with two legions, against the rebels. The Gauls and Germans, separated from Spartacus, were defeated by Publicola, and Crixus was killed. Spartacus defeated Lentulus, and then Publicola; to avenge Crixus, Spartacus had 300 prisoners from these battles fight in pairs to the death.

In the autumn, when the revolt was at its height and Spartacus had about 120,000 followers

Significance of Spartacus: quotation from Erich Gruen, The Last Generation of the Roman Republic (University of California Press, 1974) 20-21:

In view of the above I was thinking if someone like Spartacus, a slave, could raise such an army locally in such a short time, then the early Christians with the aid of the Holy Spirit surely could fill in a quota of only 144,000 loyal kings and priests to rule with Jesus over the period of the first century.

But maybe thats just apostate thinking.

hope the paragraphing works cos I typed this in WORD!

3rd time lucky???????

Edited by - Gizmo on 13 January 2003 1:13:43

Edited by - Gizmo on 13 January 2003 1:17:36

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Considering the letters of St. Paul, St. Peter, St. John and St. Jude, and the contents of the Book of Revelation, it seems apostacy was widespread towards the end of the 1st century, and so there should not be any problem in stating that the ones using the catacombs in fact were apostates. OK, they did not use the Cross, but they had sets of beliefs which included the reverence towards bishops, the belief in the soul etc.

This, however, gives birth to what in my eyes is another, deeper, problem, which is scarcely debated at all: How did the congregations and groups react to the letters of the said writers? Given there was this great apostacy around the end of the 1st century, obviously the letters and admonitions had no impact at all - the ones written to did not care, but kept on in their apostacy.

Leading to the final question, how come that the teachings of Jesus Christ, that Christianity, was such a weak religion? Why was it that it only had a true impact on people for a handfull of decades, but then fell victim of an apostacy, which has blurred it ever since?

IF that is what happened?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Oldhippy

Do you think there are any christian religions today that are not apostate?

SS

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

SS

Do you think there are any christian religions today that are not apostate?

Personally I think that's a question impossible to answer logically and absolutely, as we don't have absolute proof about everything, the gospel writings available to us these days are based on eye witness testimony and heresay, and I personally find it hard to believe what anybody says anymore. I've said it before and I'll say it again, many exceptional and dedicated Bible scholars of the past have gone to their graves not knowing much more than when they first began to research the scriptures. A lot of them becoming agnostics. There are not many things in this world one can point to and say this is an absolute truth, without question. Mathematics in it's simplest form is such a truth, 1 + 1 will always equal 2. The sun always rises in the East and sets in the West.

So Do I think there are any christian religions today that are not apostate? I would have to know and be convinced of the absolute truth, before I could make that decision. And as stated above I don't think that's possible.

Why what do you think SS?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gizmo

I more or less agree w you. Maybe no one knows absolute truth. The way to know absolute truth is by experiencing it. Otherwise people only know about, what others have told them, what they read, what their parents forced on them, etc. Let's face it, how many people that are alive right now have seen jesus? How many have heard him speak? All they have is a slightly muddled book to guide them.

The basic sciences and maths are fairly sure. Advanced science changes all the time. I have flown around the world in a plane. So, i know that we can fly,and that the earth is round.

The spiritual gets filtered through the mind and all it's preconcieved ideas, and becomes adulterated. And so, those who do make some spiritual advances see it, each in his/her own way.

This subject has been labeled as mysticism. Thus, mysticism applies to all the spiritual types: catholic saints, protestant pentacostalists, buddhists, sufis, shamans, wiccans, etc. Since those on this path are always in the minority, maybe it's not of vital importance. But for some of us persuing hidden things is just plain fun.

SS

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

But for some of us persuing hidden things is just plain fun.
    Yep the above is probably why I dip my toe in the water now, and also maybe to keep the 'ol grey matter excersised a little.
  • ozziepost
    ozziepost
    OK, they did not use the Cross

Why assume that "true Christians" did not use the Cross?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Also, OldHippie, why assume that "belief in the soul" is an Apostate teaching?

• UnDisfellowshipped

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit