Isaiah 9 is it about Jesus?

by peacefulpete 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I couldn't help but bring this one to light, because I'm trying to make sense of it:

El Gibbor / Gibbor (גבור - mighty) El (אל - God) (often translated "Mighty God") is found at the following locations (KJV / HOT):

Deut.10:17

For the LORD your God

is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

כי יהוה אלהיכם הוא אלהי האלהים ואדני האדנים האל הגדל הגבר והנורא אשׁר לא־ישׂא פנים ולא יקח שׁחד׃

Neh.9:32

Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the terrible God, who keepest covenant and mercy

ועתה אלהינו האל הגדול הגבור והנורא שׁומר הברית והחסד אל־ימעט לפניך את כל־התלאה אשׁר־מצאתנו למלכינו לשׂרינו ולכהנינו ולנביאנו ולאבתינו ולכל־עמך מימי מלכי אשׁור עד היום הזה׃

Isa.9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

כי־ילד ילד־לנו בן נתן־לנו ותהי המשׂרה על־שׁכמו ויקרא שׁמו פלא יועץ אל גבור אביעד שׂר־שׁלום׃

Isa.10:21

The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God.

שׁאר ישׁוב שׁאר יעקב אל־אל גבור׃

Jer.32:18

Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD of hosts, is his name,

עשׂה חסד לאלפים ומשׁלם עון אבות אל־חיק בניהם אחריהם האל הגדול הגבור יהוה צבאות שׁמו׃

Eze.32.21

The strong among the mighty shall speak to him out of the midst of hell with them that help him: they are gone down, they lie uncircumcised, slain by the sword.

ידברו־לו אלי גבורים מתוך שׁאול את־עזריו ירדו שׁכבו הערלים חללי־חרב׃

It's this last instance that I'm most interested in (I don't recall if I've mentioned it before, on this board, else was researching it previously).
    (The only other two verses, that contain these two words, are Ps.52:1 & Jer.51:56 but they are far more separated)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit