Staying Awake Or Keeping In A Frenzy?

by AlanF 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Alan,

Iam in the process of reading James Penton's 'Appocolype Delayed' (so far a worthwhile read), his research on Russell's early yrs is very revealing.

He (Russell) was barely in his twenties when getting the Watchtower mag off to it's infamous start. The almost comical marital spats with Maria involving who really is the 'faithful and discreet slave', the non-consumation of thier marriage, all paint a picture not very pretty.

What strikes me more than anything, is the atomosphere surronding all of this history. The symbolisim, the mystical 'crystal ball' like way, Russell and other 'adventists' approached the study of the Bible.

I could imagine vividly these 'sincere' students of the Bible, discecting verse by verse, drawing time line charts, using graphics to dramatize, then declaring thier assertions as 'truth revealed'.

In view of the time, it is easy for me to understand why so many fell duped to follow this man. The Bible having a much more significant role in everyday family activity. In the late 1800's the personal Bible being almost the sole 'keeper' of family tree's, and the source of stories for family entertainment. A book much more revered than it is today.

Russell's original 'guess' at the meaning of scripture, set the stage for all the dogma generated by wtbs. Even to this day (as you so aptly made clear above), the wtbs continue to use words and phrasing that he originated, to assure that the reader's, adherents, mind would give UNDUE credence to what was published. The Watchtower has never changed the formula that works.

Danny

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Thank you, Alan, for your concise narrative.

Warm regards,

Sam

Edited by - Sam Beli on 7 January 2003 11:15:28

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi onacruse,

Yeah, the ditty from the past is a typical re-execution of a standard theme. What the Society is doing today with respect to signs and such is a re-execution of Russells claims about being in the time of the end since 1799. He said that all of the signs Jesus pointed to in Matthew 24 were evident by about 1880. Even the preaching work of Matt. 24:14 was in evidence, since Christendom had covered the earth with the Gospel by about 1860. Obviously, interpretations of Bible prophecy that can be applied to any time period are of zero value.

Im not sure of the connection between the elders comment and yours at your JC. Please elaborate.

I have no doubt that Adventist-derived sects will in the long run have to give up their chiliastic pretensions, or disappear. Ironically, William Miller himself gave up on trying to discern the time of the end after his last gasp prediction about 1844 failed. His followers should have imitated his good sense.

Interesting comments about Anticipation syndrome and a sense of urgency, Englishman.

Hi Smiles,

A friend gets the magazines for me.

Your comments are dead on, rocketman.

You may well be right, City Fan. Ive also thought for some time that the 100-year mark from 1914 could be a watershed in WTS history. Since about 1995 Ive also thought that the new millennium would also be a psychological breakpoint, and so far that appears to be the case. Various JWs Ive talked to or who have talked to my contacts seem to agree that there is a vague malaise among many JWs, who are kind of sitting back to see what happens with respect to the recent bad publicity about JWs. They know that there are serious problems with many areas of JW belief and policy, but dont know what to do. Taking the bull by the horns and quitting is just too painful due to the likelihood theyll be DFd or forcibly DAd.

Hi plmkrzy,

Actually many evangelicals have beliefs about the end very similar to those of JWs. A charlatan named Hal Lindsey published a book called The Late, Great Planet Earth about 1970, which kicked off a huge publishing binge by people claiming that all sorts of signs are being fulfilled in our day. Lindseys claims about earthquakes and so forth are almost identical to those of the JWs. Go into any Christian bookstore and youll find racks of books about the coming of Antichrist and so on. Several authors have published series of novels about these theme of the rapture and so forth. Its big business.

As James Penton has said, JWs and evangelicals are pups from the same bitch.

BTW, I posted a response to a question from you from a couple of months ago. Its in a new thread titled For Plmkrzy.

Hi Cassiline,

Thanks for your kind words. Ill try to call you soon. Got some catching up to do.

Hi ARoarer,

Hope you guys are doing well! I should call you.

Hi Scully,

Narcissistic is a good description of JW leaders. Puffed up with pride, having a bloated sense of self-importance, and ivory tower syndrome, are other good descriptive terms. Youre right, that once one is sucked into such grandiose delusions, its very difficult to unwind. For a long time one wonders if theyre not right after all. Ones intellectual view is always fighting with the delusional emotional view engendered by years of mindless repetition of the theme.

Hi DannyBear,

I enjoyed your comments about Russell and the Society. Youre right about their never changing a formula that works. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

People are working on books about Russell that are far more comprehensive than anything Penton has done. Some pretty amazing revelations will come out. New historical information and perspectives indicate that Russell was far less of a gentleman than presently available histories indicate. He was quite probably insane as well.

Howdy, Sam! Thanks!

AlanF

• acsot
    acsot

AlanF: Thanks so much for that review. I'm still officially "in", but miss as many meetings as possible. My elderly mother lives with me now and I take her to the meetings, but since I've disconnected from the Borg, I can barely sit through the meetings, especially the Watchtower, so I'm in the process of finding lots of other things to do on Sundays which will keep my mother entertained and out of the house and my sanity more or less intact.

I only wish I had had the sense to see through the Watchtower mind games before this. I can't even read the magazines anymore, but thoroughly enjoyed your synopsis.

Thanks again.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Thanks for the info Alan. I've been out for a number of years now, and it is interesting to see that nothing much as changed. It is still "be deligent (sell more magazines) the end is coming any day now." The trouble with this is that people can only stay keyed up for so long. "Fight or flight" is a well known phenomenon. The human body pumps up with adrenaline as an automatic response to danger. But the body can't maintain that state for very long. If it tries collapse follows. This is one of the main causes of combat fatigue in soldiers. The WTBS has tried to keep it's troops on high alert for too long. I think that is why we are now seeing the slack in numbers. The soldiers have been pushed beyond their limit.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

At least 10 years ago they changed their position on 2 Tim 3 being a "sign" at all. At the time it was refreshing as many knew the the Romans passage was near verbatim and was spoken of as cotemporaneous with the writer. It was then simply remarked that these ungodly traits would CONTINUE until the end came. It was not more than a few mags later that it was again referred to as a sign. I only want to add that these verses reflect the standard apocolyptic motif of tragic and difficult events escalating into a Divine battle of good vs. evil. This is why the writer of Daniel imagined he was living in the end days as he witnessed religious division and political autrocities of the middle 2nd centuy BC.

• seven006
    seven006

Alan,

I think you need a new hobby. Have you tried hang gliding or parasailing? Chill out on being an exJW for a while and try being just another crazy human. I'm worried about you man, your starting to sound like Doug more every day. You can start to have a little fun now, it's OK, and it's allowed. Julie is going to sister slap you if you keep this up.

Dave

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Thank you, Alan. I didn't realize how much I missed your posts until I found this one. As always, great research.

Not too long ago, I had mentioned on another board that the Society was pushing the limit, more or less, with their current comments that "some of the remnant" will still be alive when the "end" comes. I had mentioned that most of these people were quite elderly and that there wasn't much time left. The JW who responded made the comment that "everyone knows that the man's lifespan is 120 years," which was, needless to say, news to me.

So, that "lifespan" coupled with the "replacements" for the anointed, who, in many cases are in their 50s or 60s could keep the machine rolling along for quite some time....with all its hyper-vigilant little riders still in a state of "urgency."

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Dave!!

I was almost ready to start a thread DAVE WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE! So are you dead or alive?

Seriously I was starting to worry that you had run off with Miss Oregon or Miss Deep Rouge River. But I see you are well and as sassy as ever. Good.

Although I wish you would leave your buddy alone. Alan has been offering some pretty good stuff of late. And you know how many year's I tried to ignore the guy (what a lier Iam).

Oh shite I just had to tell you that your big sappy ass is missed around here.

Danny

• Valis
    Valis

I always wondered if they aimed certain arguments at particular generations....maybe all that pitting parents against children etc....is a bit of self fulfilling prophecy. The way I see it is that they will eventually lose the young generations to the "truth" and only have the parents to manipulate into manipulating their children...blah blah blah...

Seriously I was starting to worry that you had run off with Miss Oregon or Miss Deep Rouge River.

Or he had just returned from his whirlwind tour after winning both those titles..*LOL*...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit