tree awnd forest

by comforter 19 Replies latest jw friends

• comforter
    comforter

if tree fall in forest with no one around to hear it, it make a sound? Dont it deepend on howe you denote sound? If sound dependent on human perkeption, the tree make no sound. if sound not dependent on humans, yeah it make sound. but what ist sound?

nameless wunderkind

• minimus
    minimus

whoo gves a flyyn fryck? YY r u steil fryckin bauthrin uz wid dis shet?

• comforter
    comforter

min

stephie asted dis question. i jest giv answer.

anon

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sound is compressions in the air, and such compressions are picked up as vibrations on more or less any surface, the human ear included.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Comfy,

Didn't you bring this up just awhile back? Perhaps this will help put it to rest for you.

It depends on what you mean by "sound".

There are mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium like air and water. These can be called sound, though they make no noise perse.

Sound, also means the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by the "sound" vibrations previously mentioned.

So, if the question is ask "If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound. The answer, technically, can be either yes or no. Yes, it makes vibrations in the air which we call sound. But, if you are referring to "sound" as noise, then the answer is no; because there is no hearing organs present to create the noise we call "sound". Kind of a semantics knot.

JamesT

• Mac
    Mac

If a tree fell on Comforters head, would it really change the "quality" of his posts?

mac

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I asked this question in a thead I started, Dunsscot. Nettiquette dictates that you answer the question in that thread. But you never one for obeying rules, were you? Especially the one about avoiding bad association online...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

LOL@ Mac

• TR
    TR

Aren't there any animals in the forest, and don't they have ears?

TR-tinks cumfarter is a dickweed class

• comforter
    comforter

james

that my point. the answer deepend on how you denote sound. your answer right.

mac

maybe.

steph

i dont like highjacking treads. that why me started dis one. the nameless one also think it bad netiquette to call some people something their name is not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit