Money and happiness?

by eyeslice 16 Replies latest jw friends

• orgbuster
    orgbuster

I know this is going off the track slightly, but the unbounded materialism that I have "witnessed" amongst the witnesses! My giddy aunt, it would put a worldly person to shame! they have to have the latest 4WD vehicle, the flashest house, the best furniture, and I'm talking about elders and overseers here, mostly.

Back in My Day, (way back actually), materialism was Frowned Upon. I think things have changed a bit since I was a girl growing up in the "twoof".

• rebel
    rebel

Sara Annie & Orgbuster,

Sounds like you know many members of my congregation. Many of them are materialistc, smug, self-satisfied and pompous. They love to emphasise how unimportant money is, yet they have 4 or 5 holidays a year, live in huge houses, drive the latest cars and are always in new outfits etc. They like to preach to those who are less well-off, telling them that money is not important and does not make you happy. Funny how easy it is to say that when you're loaded!

xxR

Sorry - bit mixed up

xxR

Edited by - rebel on 4 January 2003 6:17:13

• JH
    JH

• meadow77
    meadow77

I think the passage says it all. It is the love of money, not money itself. You are so right about that. I think too many religions take a couple of passages and make religions on them without focusing on the bible as a whole. Look at all the people in the bible that were blessed with extreme wealth and possessions. Abraham was wealthy just as an example. God also tells us that we are to take care of our children, not the other way around. In other words, be wise with your money, and leave something to your children. We are also told that God has plans to bless us far beyond what we could imagine. God tells us that if we are evil and no how to give good gifts to our children, than how much more will he give us good gifts. The list of verses go on and on. We are supposed to put God first, and yes it is true that the love of money is evil. Having said that, how to people get the impression that God expects us to starve and live in a shack to prove we are faithful? I think some people will have more than others. You may never get to live in a million dollar home, but the Lord knows you need food and shelter. He will provide. Usually he provides through his people. Yet another theme in the bible obviously lost on the JW's. Charity. We are specifically commanded to pay special attention to orphans and widows. I think the nitty gritty truth is that their is no need for anyone today to be hungary or homeless. There are too many people in this world(not just JW's) who have way more thanthey could ever need or use. But what do they do with it? They hord it and refuse to give any of it away. Or if they do, only a small percentage of what they could afford. This is the ugly truth about the love of money. If everyone followed biblical principles regarding money and charity, we would see much less poverty. I will now get off of my soapbox.

• JH
    JH

Money is not bad. It is the LOVE of money. I aggree. BUT when a brother or sister is in need, and no one in the organization helps, then it is a problem of love and selfishness, and also of leadership in the congregation.

Edited by - jh on 4 January 2003 13:20:55

• Flip
    Flip
    Actually, if one reads the bible, there is nothing wrong with having money. Look at some of the most dedicated ones to God; they were among the wealthiest in the world.

Hmmm -- interesting point freedom. Perhaps the WTBTS corporation is on the right track after all if religious corporate wealth is a Biblical barometer of spiritual favor.

Of course only, if it's the True House of Jehovah that's raking in the bucks, all other religious corporations obviously do it for image and control.

• COMF
    COMF

"Money can't buy happiness."

Well, maybe not, but it can damn sure make unhappiness more comfortable.

As one who spent the great majority of his life either in or hovering quite near poverty and only quite recently began to earn a middle-class income, I must testify that having an adequate income makes life much better. Good health care and the knowledge that I can afford it if surgery is necessary. A comfortable, well-built home. A vehicle that doesn't present a monthly drain on my resources due to advanced age. Ability to pay my utility bills without worrying about how. Enough food in the refrigerator. Decent clothes.

And money left over to play a little bit.

Money can't buy happiness? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit