Does God Play Fair?

by messenger 5 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

DOES GOD PLAY FAIR?

Once upon a time a mother bought her son a checker game. Little Johnny was so proud to have something so shiny and new. He had a friend who was an excellent checker player so Johnny immediately went to his home to play a game. As they set the board up Johnny said, “First we have to have some rules as to how the game is played and since I own the game, I make the rules.”

1. If you win all the checkers I still win the game.
    2. If I win all the checkers I win the game.
    3. You can break any rules you want, I still win the game.
    4. I can break any rules I want, I still win the game.
    5. If I choose to not make any moves, I still win the game.
    6. No matter what happens or how things are done I win the game.

At this point little Johnny’s friend said, “I do not think this is fair.” Johnny said, “I do not care, it is my game and unless you play by my rules you are not allowed to play.” Reluctantly his friend agreed to play by his rules and can you guess what happened?
    He lost to Johnny every single time they played. If you were little Johnny’s friend would you play checkers with rules like that? Why not? Most reasonable people would say why play in a game you could not win? Even if you loved to play checkers the “rules” would take out all the fun, the game would be pointless as there would be only one outcome, losing. Johnny was not playing fair.

As you read this story you may say this is so simplistic why would it even be brought up?
    Think about this story in relation to the issue Universal Soverenty. As it is explained God made a deal with Satan to see if he could play the game of rulership better than He. The only addendum was God got to make the rules, no matter what happened God wins and destroys anyone who disagrees. What kind of issue is that? If Satan was an intelligent being why would he agree to a no win situation? If God has to destroy 99% of the world at the end of time to win back his Soverenty, who would the winner appear to be? How big a risk is God taking if there can be only one outcome? What is the point of having an issue of Universal Soverenty if there can be only one conclusion to begin with and the decision is already made? Were the angels to stupid to understand this concept?

The reasoning above would have to lead you to one of two conclusions: 1.There is no issue of Universal Soverenty that is being decided, it is a stupid simplistic concept thought up by religion to control people. 2. God doesn’t play fair.

• TR
    TR
    1.There is no issue of Universal Soverenty that is being decided, it is a stupid simplistic concept thought up by religion to control people.

This does seem to be the case.

TR

• messenger
    messenger

Does anyone see this as the very root of all belief of JW's, if you take away the struggle between God and Satan, what is the point of the bible?

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Messenger,

You said:

"As it is explained God made a deal with Satan to see if he could play the game of rulership better than He. The only addendum was God got to make the rules, no matter what happened God wins and destroys anyone who disagrees. What kind of issue is that? If Satan was an intelligent being why would he agree to a no win situation? If God has to destroy 99% of the world at the end of time to win back his Soverenty, who would the winner appear to be?"

Who has explained that God made a deal with Satan? I've never read that in the bible. Since when has rulership been a game that God plays with his creation? How does the creation challenge the creator? (Romans 9:20) Jehovah has always been in control and always will be. (Daniel 4:17) Of course, he sets the rules, he is God. If he doesn't set them, who should? It certainly would have to be someone who is able to enforce them. Is it your contention that God is wicked in the way that he deals with mankind? If so, then we are all up the creek without a paddle as we are all living by his permission.

Where does the Bible say that 99% of the human race is going to be destroyed in order for Jehovah to prove his universal sovereignty? It's not His sovereignty that's in question, but whether the human race will prove itself worthy of living on this earth for eternity. And yes, Jehovah does have the right to make this decision. And I don't believe that Jehovah's Witnesses have made this issue so clear to mankind such that Jehovah would make His decision based on what they have done. I believe that work is yet ahead. Billions of people will yet have the opportunity to make the choice of whether they will live or die. Yes, the provisions of the Abrahamic Covenant will yet enable these ones to make this decision. Isaiah 2:2-4 will be fulfilled with billions of people responding. The 'mountain of the house of Jehovah' has not yet been 'established above the top of the mountains' and 'lifted above the hills' such that 'all the nations' can 'stream to it.' This is a future event!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Does anyone see this as the very root of all belief of JW's, if you take away the struggle between God and Satan, what is the point of the bible?

Likewise, if you believe in the struggle between God and Satan, what kind of a two-bit God are we supposed to worship, then? One who screws up and makes miserable lives of billions of innocent and puny humans who had nothing to do with the original "bet" God and Satan made?

Farkel

• trevor
    trevor

Yeah messenger,

I agree with your concusion. The God portrayed in the Bible has
    been made in the image of man. Petty, vengeful, jealous, power-hungry,
    bloodthirsty,imperfect and errrrrrrrrrr.....

I think we have all moved on since those ancient writers tried to
    explain God in terms that they could understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit