The elders of the 1980s are now in their 60s and 70s

by truthseeker 41 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The last time my ex-brother-law elder visit me, he looked beaten.

He's 78 and failing health, we were very close. So he ask what are you doing

with the knowledge that you have gain from the Bible, I can see you are know

your bible.Why not come back. It's been 28 years since I left and no way will I return,

life have been good for me. I told him I have learned to play the guitar, golf, met some

fine folks in the mean time, a great life. His response, I always wanted to learn to play the guitar.

His goal in the borg was to become CO or DO, to bad because he was removed as a elder

twice for abusing his wife (my sister). He would have made a great GB member...

• cha ching
    cha ching

My husband and I are in our 60's....

We were out a few years ago....

I hate lies, and liars, I hate hypocrisy.

No way would I give any more of my life to people like that.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl
    I am 71. I left in my late 30s, I have four older sisters still in borg and three brothers who long left before I did. We know our sisters will never wake up and leave. They have too much of their life invested in it.The youngest is 75 and the oldest is 87. Too much life has passed and they cannot face life without borg.Too bad, so sad. It is what it is.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have also heard(in a public talk of all things) the line that Desirousofchange quoted above:

"I used to think I was going to march right into the New World. Now I accept that I will probably get there by the underground"

Everybody laughed! They make a big joke of their failed promises. If I had not already woken up it would be no laughing matter to me.

Are they just as committed? Yes, for the reasons stated in other replies...They dare not entertain thoughts of anything else.

• ssn587
    ssn587
    A

I had asked an elder when he and sidekick elder visited me, I had, had an operation and was at home recovering, he was insisting that the end was coming soon and in fact was right around the corner.so I asked how long is soon, and just where is the corner? That stumped the both of them , they both were hemming and hawing but didn't have an answer. They tried to change the subject so I repeated it several times, they were looking at their watches and finally decided to use the excuse of having to be somewhere. The wife and I left too, went to McDonald's and there they were having a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, they today still believe their own nonsense.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

The elders of the 1980s are now in their 60s and 70s

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I wonder what the elders who are now in their 60s and 70s are thinking when they look in the mirror and an old face looks back at them.

If they have not come to the reality that they will grow old and die in this system, is a real cultural shock.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The last time my ex-brother-law elder visit me, he looked beaten.

He's 78 and failing health, we were very close. So he ask what are you doing

with the knowledge that you have gain from the Bible, I can see you are know

your bible.Why not come back. It's been 28 years since I left and no way will I return,

life have been good for me. I told him I have learned to play the guitar, golf, met some

fine folks in the mean time, a great life. His response, I always wanted to learn to play the guitar.

His goal in the borg was to become CO or DO, to bad because he was removed as a elder

twice for abusing his wife (my sister). He would have made a great GB member...

This sounds so very much like my ex brother in law. Even though he is still sticking by the organization waiting for Armageddon to come.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Very interesting comments, thank you.

And this does disturb me: ""Friends, I know we are getting old, but don't despair, very soon we are going to be laughing and the rest of the world is going to be crying in despair when Armageddon finally arrives and everyone will know we had the truth."

In a few years he may be carried out in a box and then it will all have been for nothing.

• kaik
    kaik

My mom is 79 and she is resigned that she would see the end. I was the youngest grandchild, so many of my cousins are between age 50 and 60 and they thought that the end will be in their prime years. Their mom, my JW aunt is dead for 15 years, and they still maintain her bedroom and all her clothing because she will be resurrected shortly. Two of my cousins are elders and they think the big "A" is just behind the corner. They told my mom last month that she is wasting her time to go for hip surgery in the fall, because it is 101 years since Jesus rule and reminder her that while she is on surgery and recovery, she would miss a chance to jump into the arc and survive Armageddon in THIS year.

Elders in my old KH are either dead, debilitated by age, or resigned, but still insist that the End is near. They are not giving up. It is hard when for 70 years people are brainwashed for the End to come to realize that the only end they will see is their own biological. I have yet to meet elder JW who would admit that the end is not coming in his lifetime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit