WT Doctrine - Only Loyal Ones Can Pray?

by jgnat 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is in the January 5, 2003 Study, "Keep on Serving Shoulder to Shoulder" from the November 15, 2002 Watchtower:

The Apostle Paul wrote: "I desire that in every place the men carry on prayer, lifting up loyal hands, apart from wrath and debates" (I Timothy 2:8) Paul thus associated loyalty with public prayer "in every place" where Christians meet together. Only loyal men should represent the congregation in public prayer.

First of all, could a veteran xJW confirm with me that this means what I think it means - that the WTS deems who is worthy to pray publicly? This is astounding. Prayer is a personal and direct link to our Creator. Through prayer, God gives us comfort, support, and direction. Second of all, this interpretation stinks! Paul wants us all to pray. How we pray was the secondary concept. The order of logic of this sentence is as follows:

in every place ----> the men carry on prayer ----> lifting up loyal hands ----> apart from wrath and debates

Yet the WTS has reversed the logic. Can you see it?

only men ---> with loyal hands ----> may pray publicly

As a side note, I found that the NWT consistently translates hosios as loyalty. Here is another translation:

So wherever you assemble, I want men to pray with holy hands lifted up to God, free from anger and controversy. I Timothy 2:8 NLT

In Strong's, hosios is defined as:

hosios
    hos'-ee-os Of uncertain affinity; properly right (by intrinsic or divine character; thus distinguished from G1342, which refers rather to human statutes and relations; from G2413, which denotes formal consecration; and from G40, which relates to purity from defilement), that is, hallowed (pious, sacred, sure): - holy, mercy, shalt be.

As well, all throught the OT, a similar Hebrew word, chasiyd, is consistently translated as loyal in the NWT. I can see no need to make such a radical departure, unless the organization desires loyalty from it's sheep more than a personal divine relationship with their creator. Is holiness a foreign concept to the WT culture?

Edited by - jgnat on 1 January 2003 14:59:0

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What of the sinning tax collector? Should he have been praying in public?

And he spake also this parable unto certain who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and set all others at nought: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week; I give tithes of all that I get. But the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote his breast, saying, God, be thou merciful to me a sinner. Luke 18:9-14 ASV
  • Scully
    Scully

Interesting study of the words "loyalty" vs "holiness".

I think this is similar to the NWT's changing of the word "grace" to "undeserved kindness".

They'll use whatever translation of a Greek or Hebrew word that suits their purpose. In the case of "grace" vs "undeserved kindness", the whole concept of God being "bigger than the rest of us" is lost..... because humans CAN and DO sometimes show "undeserved kindness".

The same with the quality of "holiness", being so much more ethereal, pure and practically unreachable for humans, because only God is supposed to be holy. Loyalty, on the other hand, refers to trueness and steadfastness in a relationship with another person(s). Loyalty can be misplaced though - as every single one of us here can attest - the WTS expects loyalty to IT and equates that loyalty with loyalty to GOD. That kind of loyalty is not pure or holy, as the other translation of the word would connote.

Thanks for bringing this up. It's given me some food for thought.

Love, Scully

PS: To answer your question - only exemplary males in the congregation are allowed to offer public prayers. It's one of those PRIVILEGES TM we discussed elsewhere.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, Scully. I often wondered why my honey is so hesitant to pray. Considering the amount of work that is put in to teach recruits to evangelize, reference scripture, and public speaking, it is astounding to me that they are not taught to pray. The poor sheep are not even "good enough" to bleat for their master, huh? Oh, I forgot. Good witnesses are to run to the elders for spiritual guidance. Lord help them all.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This is a fundamental principle in the org--privileges are doled out as they see you "progressing" and "reaching out".

I have been on restrictions longer than i can remember; they let me comment again a few years ago, and i am only asked to pray at the bookstudy if a rookie is conducting and doesn't know that i am not yet approved for prayer; i am not engaging in any wrongdoing but i seldom go in service, and have not rejoined the school.

It is just as well; the things i want to pray for would knock them all off their chairs anyway, like for all of us to really know the nature of god, for the GB to disassociate themselves and for the lawsuits against the society to topple the greedy ones from their perch.

Oh; and for the rank and file to rise up and form their own lay leadership of the worldwide org.

Just for starters.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes indeed.

Representing the congregation in prayer -- that was for the elders to decide. It was deemed an assignment, even being printed on the monthly schedule in one congregation I attended. It was a privilege slightly above microphone handler and slightly below Watchtower Study Reader.

As far as individuals praying, only those in an "approved relationship" with Jehovah supposedly have their prayers heard by him, according to what I remember of JW doctrine. So you had to be accepted by the congregation, otherwise your personal prayers don't even count !! But of course, Jehovah makes exceptions for certain non-believers, when they're praying for the "truth" to come -- and then of course the angels direct a member of the "only true Christian organization(tm)" to that person by the next morning. nyuk, nyuk.

Edited by - Gopher on 1 January 2003 17:25:59

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sooooo. We are all members of the body of Christ, no member is above another, standing "shoulder to shoulder", but only a FEW of us (less and less every year) can taste the wine and eat the blood in rememberance of Him, and only a FEW MORE of us have the priveledge of public prayer. And Jehovah is deaf to the prayers and entreaties of 99% of his creation.

I just did a word search on priveledge. Nothing. Nada. Tried honour. Yes, but we are not to honour one brother above another. Mary did NOTHING but sit at Jesus' feet and listen. She was not reproved. At least not by Jesus. Is Jehovah going to be "pleased" with a faifhful gatekeeper who has effectively cut off direct communication to Him? I am SO tempted to swear.

• Scully
    Scully

jgnat:

I just did a word search on priveledge. Nothing. Nada.

Did you try spelling it "privilege"?? Just a thought.

Love, Scully

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    As far as individuals praying, only those in an "approved relationship" with Jehovah supposedly have their prayers heard by him, according to what I remember of JW doctrine. So you had to be accepted by the congregation, otherwise your personal prayers don't even count !! But of course, Jehovah makes exceptions for certain non-believers, when they're praying for the "truth" to come -- and then of course the angels direct a member of the "only true Christian organization(tm)" to that person by the next morning. nyuk, nyuk.

Yep, this is absolutely true. I remember that when I initially became inactive, I was afraid to even try to pray. I just KNEW that my prayers wouldn't be heard because I was inactive.

I was really surprised, then, when a lot of things were happening in my life and I prayed....expecting nothing, but just needing to talk about what was going on, and God seemed like the logical choice....and I felt a tremendous sense of calm, and got the answers I was seeking. Once again, the JWs lied to me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

That is so lovely, Redhorsewoman.

And yes, Scully, I did use my spell check when I did my search. lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit