Did you follow instructions carefully?

by Outaservice 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

The Society reports millions of hours spent in the field service yearly. When you were active did you follow theocratic instructions carefully and faithfully?

Did you stop for a coffee break and keep your time going? (Or possibly breakfast)

Did you stop and look at Used Car lots while continuing to count time.

Did you start your time at the Kingdom Hall or when you were suppose to, at the first door you got someone home?

If you got 2 hours and 45 minutes in, did you round it off to 3 hours?

If things were like our congregation, I believe you could honestly count 15 minutes of actual preaching for every 3 hours put in! Were we the only ones like this?

Outaservice (counting his time right now)

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

I'm guilty of all of the above!

We used to borrow from the next month, sort of like credit. We used to refer to it as the stick-man because month after month it looked like this: 1

Come to think of it, I never did pay those borrowed stick-men back.

GeddyLee will remember that! Geddy, his goofy brother, my brother and me were probably the worst examples ever when it came to taking that reporting stuff seriously.

Stan

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Note to outaservice: In regards to your posting under my "introduction post" last Saterday: I understood where you were coming from...we have a similar sense of humor. Your concern that I may have been offended was sweet -- too sweet really. Made me kinda sick actually.

That said....

As I recall there was more cheating on time reported in service than on tax forms. Even now, you can spot a Witness out in Service a mile away. They're the ones dressed nice and ssslloowwllyyyy mosy'n down the road. Taking as much time as humanly possible between doors.

JamesT

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ahhhh yes! The "urgent" preaching work.

• Scully
    Scully

Actually, I was probably more honest than most people, having heard all the stories here!! LOL

We didn't go for this Call-on-a-NH-before-the-group trick, or the Save-a-RV-close-to-home-for-finishing-off-the-morning trick. We stopped counting time when we went for coffee break, and didn't start again until we got back in service. We recorded our time on a calendar, and transcribed it onto a Field Service Report sheet, breaking it down to 5-minute increments. If we had partial hours at the end of the month, we carried it forward instead of borrowing from the next month.

The way I thought about it was that Jehovah knew if I was lying, and the story of Ananias and Sapphira kept coming to mind. I didn't want to get eaten up with worms like they did. LOL

Once I realized it was a farce, I'd already been inactive for several months, so I wasn't turning in reports anymore. When the elders asked me about it, I asked them to show me the scripture that said my accounting was with them instead of with God. heh heh

Love, Scully

• GeddyLee
    GeddyLee

Stan, Stan, Stan, Now how could you include me in with your group of shisters??? I will admit that anytime someone actually gave me contributions for the crud I was peddeling, I went straight for Burger king, and bought a couple of whoppers. I did count my time from six thirty in the morning, whether I was awake yet or not, and there were those times that I taped that sloptower to the back of my cars rear window, and drove to Toronto, and counted the four hours. But hey to group me in with the likes of my brother, thats dirty. I think Im calling Elders,Wellington "the stud wigle, Al "pass me another banana split" Lynch, and Sid" yes Im actually 150 yrs old Kilner, and charge you with slander. Geddy

• Mystla
    Mystla

You guys are soooo bad... you're all going to burn in hell!!!

I was always such a goody two shoes!! I didn't even count coffee breaks... not even the time it took to get to the coffee shop!!

but I wasn't as bad as one sister I went out with once (only once, I avoided her after this) I had a "really good door" and was there for almost an hour... when I got back to the car this sister was sooooo mad, cause she thought she couldn't count the time she had spent waiting in the car!! This was rural territory, mind you... so it wasn't like she could have been working the next street over or something. she was so mad she wouldn't speak to me all the way back to the hall (a 45 minute drive) ah yes, christian love, I remember it well.....

Mystla

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

When it came to counting time, I always rounded up, never down. I think most in our congregation did the same.

Athanasius

• Aztec
    Aztec

Mystla, I was like you. I always kept very careful count of my hours. I never counted coffee breaks and I even had a little note book where I kept close track of my hours. Fortunatly I outgrew this phase eventually cause I was really driven the other pioneers nutty.

~Aztec

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I would really like to know how much time that is counted is actually spent talking to others about the troof. I said it before but by the time you take off the time for coffee, travel time, sitting in the car and walking around the teritory looking for not at homes, you probably only actually spend about 15 minutes preaching on a Saturday morning.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit