Attending the "right" hall

by freedom96 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

Here are a couple of experiences I have had in regards to hall assignments:

1. After I graduated from high school, a few classes that I needed to take in college were on my normal meeting nights of Tuesday and Thursday. I switched halls to one that had Monday and Wednesday evening meetings. I never got any "flak" from the elders for doing that. This hall was also nearly 20 miles from where I lived.

2. While living in another state, I attended a congregation roughly 30 miles away so that I could be in the same hall as a good friend of mine. There were approximately 10 other congos in the area in which I lived, but I never once attended any one of them on a regular basis. Again, no guidance or suggestions from the elders asking me to attend my "assigned" hall.

3. Right now, we live outside of the territory of the hall we go to. The PO's exact words to us and others who asked us about our living outside of the area was, "It is the decision of the head of the household as to what congregation they would like to attend." The PO himself lives outside of the hall's territory too but was asked by the CO to stay after a reorg that happened over a year and a half ago between two congos.

I guess I am not the one to ask about problems with hall assignments. I know it happens and I know of people who have been chastised by the elders about it, but personally, I have never had a problem.

• Skeptically Yours
    Skeptically Yours

Francois,

I've rimless glasses, and know quite a few peers who wear those also, and we've never had a problem. Haven't seen anything in writing from the Society going against it either.

Perhaps you're definitely referring to an isolated case in your particular congregation.

Take care!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Oh, I remember those stupid things like the glasses, the colored shirts, etc. How pathetic!

• animal
    animal

Most of the glasses rules went with the no-bell bottoms and no short skirt rules of the early 70's.

Animal

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Can someone please explain to a young ignorant puppy such as myself (who was only born in the 70's) the rimless glasses rule? I'm dying of curiosity! Is leg pulling going on here, or was there really a rule on rimless glasses?

ig

• ISP
    ISP

Its a bit more relaxed round our way. Loads of dudes go to all different halls irrespective of where they live. It was a ploy to leave / fade i.e. say you were going to a different Hall.

ISP

• freedom96
    freedom96

ig-

Pretty much anything that was a new style, or the new "in' thing, was chastised by the witnesses. I remember the glasses issue, and I was quite young at the time. People talked about how worldly it was. It simply was a new style, but the WTS made such a big deal.

You were not going to see a manuel saying, No Blue Shirts, etc, but it was a unwritten rule that they had no problem talking about on stage.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Re "rimless glasses"

I think the jw reasoning behind that rule was that if you were fashion consious, you were not to be trusted and were lacking in "spirituality".

When I dyed a blond streak in the front of my hair, the elders looked at me funny after that. Oh, and I wish you would have seen them when they found out that I wuz "fornicating" with my ballroom dance partner. . . . !!! I think they got off on that one!!!!!! <LMAO>

Elders like to test their flock to see how willing and how many hoops their followers will jump through. It is all about their power and control. . . .

Sis,

ESTEE

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The KM says its a suggestion only, no hard and fast rule. Blueblades

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

The only "right" hall to be attending???

. . . . .a DANCE Hall!!!

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit