Are beards allowed yet for MS and Elders??

by EndofMysteries 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    I remember a little over 15 years ago, one of my first jobs at a grocery store, the manager was happy that they passed a new policy allowing them to grow a beard. Previously they were not allowed. Among the USA, I guess beards were considered not very professional still. Jesus and apostles had beards. The reason for not having them among JW's was because was looked down upon and maybe dirty or not clean, just based on the views of people in USA. Since beards are now becoming a major fad and so common everywhere, I wondered if they are allowing them for anybody yet?
  • sir82
    sir82

Depends on the country.

In the USA, for example, absolutely not.

In northern Europe, it is uncommon but acceptable, even for elders, at least in the congregation. I don't think they let bearded elders on the platform at assemblies (someone correct me if I am wrong).

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

As said in Northern Europe it is not uncommon. The last congregation We attended, I was one of four brothers with a beard. One was an elder...however around convention time when he had parts he was hypocritically clean shaved, as the platform is otherwise still a no no. I did have persons from other less tolerant congregations ask whether my razor was broken. Another person asked whether I was a brother or just the spouse that tagged along (I was not wearing a badge).

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Sir82 you are 100% correct - no beards on the circuit or district platform.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    But beards are becoming very common in the USA so I wonder if that's soon to change. Or will they stay stuck on something even if 75% of men in USA come to have beards.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I work for a large, multi-national company that employs tens of thousands of employees worldwide. Our CEO has a beard.

Much like the expectation that women wear flowery dresses all the time, the no-beard rule is a remnant of bygone generation (not the overlapping kind).

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Uhhhh....

1) Beards are cool.

2) WTBTS is not cool.

End of discussion.

DD

• freddo
    freddo

@Data-Dog

Yup.

The comments on beard are about right.

Trouser suits/Pant suits smart trousers on women in business or general settings has been normal in the UK since the 1980's but just try wearing them to your KH and watch the petty clipboard carriers break out in a sweat.

• 88JM
    88JM
    I did notice there seemed to be quite a few bearded attendants at the convention here in Scotland last week.
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    I did notice there seemed to be quite a few bearded attendants at the convention here in Scotland last week.

Indeed so did I but most we short, well kept beards and these were mostly MS folks, I wore a beard as an elder for a month after a holiday and we had to have a big elders meeting about it...I was the School Overseer so was on the platform every week so they were not amused when I went up with it...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit