Is Cloning a "good" thing?

by D8TA 18 Replies latest jw friends

• D8TA
    D8TA

I thought it was...untill I saw Lilly Munster being the first to claim that she did it. Then I thought..."no".

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

D8TA, to me, visions of creating a "Master Race" come to mind. If the child being cloned isn't perfect, then what? Does the clinic get sued? Is the child destroyed? Our society is so comsumer priented, I would hate to see that passed on to child conception. besides, all the fun and enjoyment of getting pregnant would be gone.

Lew W

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

I guess like anything else "only time will tell"

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

"God made out of ONE MAN every nation of men..." is that not cloning after it's own kind? Acts 17:26

Guest 77

• Rip76
    Rip76

We are not God.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

How can you doubt the value of cloning? Haven't you watched Austin Powers movies and seen "Mini Me"?

However, conception by cloning doesn't appear to be nearly as much fun as the old fashioned way.

Edited by - drahcir yarrum on 30 December 2002 9:29:19

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

I discussed this on a philosophical list I'm on, and while scientifically and religiously I don't really have a problem with it, I think aside from the risks to the child, I would question the motives of someone wanting to clone themselves. There are other ways to have a child if you or your spouse is infertile. Cloning is not really necessary in that regard, and the idea of having a child is really to create a brand new person, not a copy of an existing person. If you have any genetic problems you'd be passing them on to your child 100% - not that a child of two different parents couldn't have bad DNA. I tend to see cloning becoming the trend for the very rich or very vain, people who want a perfect heir to take over their lives - people paying exhorbitant sums for a few cells from a celebrity so they could have their own Elvis [for argument's sake]. I think this issue already came up with a ball player who died recently - one of his children wanted him frozen so that his cells could be used for cloning. I thought that was absurd - the motives of the person in question seemed to be that they thought their father could be re-made in some way which is preposterous, but no doubt there will be people willing to try to resurrect their dead loves ones, believing a clone will be the psychological double of the original as well and they could be bitterly disappointed if the clone doesn't turn out exactly as they remember the original to be.

Silverleaf

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

A few hundred years ago, autopsies were considered evil. Surgery was viewed with great suspicion.

Now, both those differ from cloning, as they appertain to the dead or the living, not the duplication of someone already living.

BUT, they do demonstrate that we are just victims of our culture. If we are bought up to believe autopsies are evil, then generally, that is what we will believe.

Although we have more education than those who held opposite opinions about things we take for granted nowadays, as mentioned above, that doesn't mean our fears will be realised; those fears echoed an/or influenced by books on the subject, such as Brave New World and Spares.

In fact, it's quite likely our decendants will laugh at the attitudes towards cloning we have today.

I think we should really ask ourselves, "why is cloning a bad thing". New does not mean bad. But it doesn't neccesarilly mean good either.

• gumby
    gumby

Abaddon,

Either I'm an airhead or you have been gone awhile (probably the former..LOL)

Nice to hear from you.

I'm anxious to see the personality that develops from a clone. Does it have it's own soul (personality)? If so.....perhaps this could be a very good thing. This will challenge every person on this planets religious views. OH Yeah baby!!!!!!

Gumby.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm undecided on this issue.....I do find it intriuging.

Until these folks who claim the cloning present their work to the scientific communty, I will remain very skeptical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit