Jackson on Deuteronomy 22 and "two witnesses"

by Marvin Shilmer 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

In his testimony before the Royal Commission Geoffrey Jackson said he did not have the answer to the question posed to him regarding Deuteronomy 22:25-27 and was unable to ask Jesus at this time.

Two things stand out to me about this piece of Jackson's testimony.

1. He said he could not ask Jesus.

2. In his high capacity that he kept emphasizing over and over about about doctrinal guardianship and spiritual matters, his ineptness of something easily debunked from a logical scriptural perspective.

Of not being able to ask, my wonder is whether Mr. Jackson believes in prayer!!! He said he could not ask Jesus. Why can't he ask Jesus in prayer?!!! More importantly, why has Mr. Jackson not already asked Jesus for an answer to this issue in prayer?!!! He is, after all, part of a supposed guardian of doctrine! What is keeping this man from asking Jesus?

Of the issue put before him, the issue as presented represents a false dilemma. The dilemma is premised on a notion that a man accused by a woman of raping her in a field without witnesses would be put to death without any evidence other than the woman's accusation. The text does not say a man would be put to death based on the witness of a single person (the victim). It says a man would be put to death for raping a woman in a field where no one could see or hear what was going on other than the woman and the rapist. This does not suggest a man would be or, under Mosaic Law, could be put to death purely on the word of the woman alleging rape. The text at issue (Deut. 22:25-27) does not address what evidence would suffice to convict the criminal, or how that evidence could be obtained. It speaks only of the situation. It astounded me to listen to Jackson respond to this false dilemma without recognizing it as a false dilemma. For a would-be guardian of doctrine his skills of critical thinking are rusty to say the least.

• steve2
    steve2
    Could you please elaborate on the last paragraph of your OP, Marvin? I' m having a hard job grasping the point you are making, especially how your point relates to the 2 witness rule.
  • pixel
    pixel

He said he could not ask Jesus.

I find this answer very sarcastic and disrespectful. But once again, what do you expect from these clowns?

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Jackson can't pray TO Jesus, only through him.

A better Commission question would have been, "Is it not the case that if Jehovah is asked about a case of sexual abuse, he may refer back to this part of Deuteronomy and say that it's not required to have two witnesses?

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Could you please elaborate on the last paragraph of your OP, Marvin? I' m having a hard job grasping the point you are making, especially how your point relates to the 2 witness rule.

The two-witness rule Jackson was being questioned regarding is one that requires corroboration beyond allegation of a single witness.

The text of Deut. 22 does not say the rapist put to death was executed based solely on a single person's (the victim's) allegation.

• Ding
    Ding

JWs don't pray to Jesus.

Okay, so why can't he ask Jehovah?

Or doesn't Jehovah communicate with the GB either?

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

yes you're right, - it does seem to invoke false dilemma. Maybe the "circumstantial evidence" that is left out in this text is the woman's emotional condition itself, who can say... but for me to interject that just shows it's a false dilemma again. So are you saying, Marvin, that to use this to impose a modern reality in a settlement dispute would also be wrong? Maybe you're right in that case. Never thought about that. Good point...Jackson should have picked up on that. Angus took a gamble to even bring up that scripture. But for Jackson, as Guardian of Doctrin, not to be able to make a defense before everyone who demands a reason for the hope in him is very telling also.

But also, we must remember that this law in Deut. does not stand on its own. The law applies to Israel at THAT time; ignoring pre law and post law fullfillment of Christ teachings. I think Romans 13 makes clear we are to obey the just laws imposed by a just governmental system. I believe all child abuse cases should be turned over to secular (and yes, "superior") authorities to be decided by professionals.

And when you mentioned Jackson not being able to ask Jesus, the scriptures that immediately popped into my mind were:
    John 14:
    23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching.
    25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

Good point!!!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I believe all child abuse cases should be turned over to secular (and yes, "superior") authorities to be decided by professionals.

I could not agree more.

As for Angus and whether he knew he was taking a gamble with the text of Deut 22, I don't know one way or another. I do know that Mr. GOD ("guardian of doctrine") should certainly have been Johnny-on-the-spot picking put up the false dilemma. That he failed to see this and chose to respond as he did demonstrates incompetence. And he's among the chosen elite!!! Doesn't that make everyone feel warm and fuzzy?

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Marvin for the clarification. I see what you mean and agree!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit