New jerusalem

by heathen 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

Ok ,I'm reading in the revelation book on page 306- measuring the city. We are talking the WT interpretation of the scripture of revelation 21:15-17. The angel is giving the apostle John the measurements for the city of new Jerusalem. These measurements according to the WT equal 1380 miles in perimeter and a wall that covers an area 14 times the size of modern day Isreal.and it towers 350 miles into outer space.I just can't figure why the society tells us that these are symbolic measurement . What is so impossible about this being the literal representation of a city ? The previous scripture does not mention this city landing on the ground but merely comes down out of heaven and as i read paragraph 8 they suggest in a very subtle way that this new jerusalem is the organization . Just sounds strange to me . Anyone with any comments on this?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Seen "Independance Day"?

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

The WT has the measurements all wrong...

Revelation 21:9 One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
    15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia [1] in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 He measured its wall and it was 144 cubits [2] thick, [3] by man's measurement, which the angel was using.

Footnotes
    1. 21:16 That is, about 1,400 miles (about 2,200 kilometers)
    2. 21:17 That is, about 200 feet (about 65 meters)
    3. 21:17 Or high

So from the length of the city, it's 1,400 miles long on ALL 4 sides of the wall, then the height is only 200 feet high as the same as the thickness of the wall to be 200 feet.

Heheh, the wall going high orbit? Heheh, funny WT these old geezers are.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Oh pooh. I thought this thread was going to be about Carly Simon's song "New Jerusalem". That song was used in the movie "Working Girl". Love that song!

Oh well, nevermind.

j2bf

• heathen
    heathen

• Yizuman- The point in question is not how big the city is .The WT claims that a cubit equals 1.45 ft ,I don't even know where they derived that .The explaination they give is one of those unbelievable conclusions they give. Like each measurement is indicative of some hidden attribute of God .The city itself is only symbolic with no literal intent.I say I can't see any reason not to believe it's literal and also has nothing in likeness to the organization here on earth. Little Toe- I have seen independence day ,one of my favorite flicks actually I am a huge fan of will smith and if you read more of revelation we see that fire does come out of heaven after the Gog of magod attacks the chosen people for a last time .Interesting comparison .joy2bfree- That's something I would expect from a newbie .
  • Satanus
    Satanus

The point of question is the quality or quantity of the drugs that john was one when he wrote this.

SS

• shera
    shera

I think he was picking shrooms(mushrooms)

• heathen
    heathen

I don't know about the apostle John but the WT is clearly hitting the booze a little hard these days.or perhaps some shrooms.lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit