UK TV--next monday 24th aug---channel 5-----9 pm--escaping the witnesses

by stan livedeath 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free
    I recorded it and am uploading . Link will be posted shortly
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

well presented program-----apart from the church pews----but thats nit picking.

Well done to the 2 Karens

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Brilliant! Karen Morgan made it clear that Mark Sewell, who abused her as a child, was an elder and he loved being an elder, loved the power, until they locked him up for fourteen years. I didn't realise his sentence was that long. She did very well.
  • Splash
    Splash

"If a family member has been shunned or disfellowshipped, that does not sever the family ties and normal day to day dealings may continue"

Any active JW hearing this will know it's a lie, the rules on treating DF'd persons are well known and understood.

Their blatant lies may yet cause some to pause for thought.

• daveysmithy30
    daveysmithy30
    Very well presented and thought provoking program it was. Brilliant all the way through. Glad that they all escaped and are doing great now. I mentioned it to a friend who is a spiritualist who lives in Edinburgh and couldn't believe the controlling aspect of things within the cults. Well done to all the survivors who shared their stories!
  • Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Cant believe it. I walked into the living room and my 'borg can do no wrong' wife was watching the programme and said look at this, its about the witnesses!!!!!!

It was about 20 minutes in and I then sat down and watched it with her. Once it ended, we watched the first 20 minutes on channel 5+1. She didnt say much and I didnt want to say too much..... but I think she got the message loud and clear about shunning. In fact the scientology lady helped amplify how cult like shunning was which really drove it home how horrible a practice it is.

I did however mention during the programme that what one of the ladies was saying that the elders are not properly qualified/trained to deal with deep emotional family issues and said that this was especially the case with child abuse. She never said anything, so I let the TV do the talking. Wow incredible!!

• Peony
    Peony

"If a family member has been shunned or disfellowshipped, that does not sever the family ties and normal day to day dealings may continue"

The programme quoted this from off the JW.Org site. It was a bit misleading as we all know that's referring to family members who live in the same house! Was such a good programme though, I really hope some of my family members saw it!

• Watchtower-Free
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Thanks for this Watchtower-Free. I would like to watch it again.
  • nugget
    nugget

I think that it was well put together and by juxtaposing Scientology with the Witnesses it was a helpful way to bring home that certain practices are cult practices. The experts in the program highlighted the elder arrangement and judicial committees as particularly problematic and a signature of cults as well as the shunning. The stories were not lurid and were dealt with in a very compassionate way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit