• Gizmo
    Gizmo

For your listening pleasure

Song 10 still soooo gets to me

Edited by - elderrepents on 26 December 2002 22:29:51

Edited by - elderrepents on 26 December 2002 23:51:53

• Navigator
    Navigator

Though I detest JW doctrine, I am quite fond of the Kingdom Melodies CD. I too have noted an erie similarity of many of the songs to classical works that pre-date the CD by several hundred years. If not downright pirated, they certainly were influenced by the classical pieces. Not being a JW, I never knew the words, but some of the tunes are lovely.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I always suspected that the Watch Tower modified classical and modern music into their Kingdom Melodies. I wonder if they ripped off any copywrited material.

• Ed
    Ed

I too have noted an erie similarity of many of the songs to classical works that pre-date the CD by several hundred years.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Not so much in the melody, but in the harmonies and chord sequences. You can sometimes even pick the composer it was borrowed from. I'm learning some Bach pieces at the moment, and occasionally I'll be playing a new passage and think "Dang, where have I heard that before...?"

There was even an amusing misunderstanding in 1933 when German JWs were accused of supporting the Nazis after opening a convention with the German national anthem. It turned out that the song was "Zion's Glorious Hope", and both songs had been based on the same work by Joseph Haydn. Well that's their story anyway, and they're sticking to it...

• johnny_was_good
    johnny_was_good

I once heard a brothers saying that parts of the Australian national anthem sounded just like a kingdomsong, I've forgot which one.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

At Hellaby (UK) they used to play Hank Marvin's (Guitarist from the Shadow's) rendition of "Christian Dedication", at baptisms. Loved that guitar!

• glitter
    glitter

You're all spot on, I'm laughing my ass off here singing along to them with the REAL words!

There's a hymn that they ripped off too - I just can't think of it off the top of my head...

I used a midi of Song 4 in a computer game I made - it sounds a bit like the sort of music on underwater levels in Mario or something doesn't it.

I hate it when a song that sounds exactly like another or parts of another and I just can't think of the name of the original.

• glitter
    glitter

LittleToe: When was that?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Glitter:
    Shortly after they built it, in the mid 80's

Which reminds me of another classic.

At rehearsals, one day, they decided to play the music, as well as go through the demo's. It's just as well, as one of the kids had got to the tape and used it for recording. Hellaby was filled with strains of Madonna singing "Like a Virgin".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit