Can You Discern What The Society Is Really Saying?

by minimus 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Elsewhere writes:

Absolutely NOTHING is mentioned about encouraging a person to seek professional help.

Not only that, they fail further in neglecting to tell victims of sexual assault to report the CRIME to the police, and they also do NOT say anything about getting appropriate medical care, including physical examination for forensic evidence. You would think that COMMON SENSE would prevail here, because people trained in dealing with sexual assault cases KNOW what to look for in terms of forensic evidence. All the elders care about is "why were you where you were at that time of day?" and "why were you alone with him?" and "what were you wearing?" and "what did you do to inflame his passion?" yadda yadda yadda. Dammit, my blood is boiling right now....

It makes me wonder just how many men in the WT heirarchy are shielded from sexual assault charges with articles like this one. The guilt is directed toward the woman who is assaulted, rather than the man who assaults her.

Love, Scully (still restraining myself class)

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

The very fact that these "men" consider rape as anything at all to do with sexual relations is ignorant and evil beyond even what I have come to expect of them. The arrogant presumption it takes to feel qualified to spew forth on such a life-altering trauma in view of their utter lack of information and understanding is confounding, to say the least.

I am sickened to learn that JW women are going to be confused and guilted anew regarding this violent crime as a result of this upcoming material. All cloaked in ostensibly comforting language.

In response to a current thread's query ...

"Are you ashamed to admit you were a JW?"

Extremely. I will be 'til my dying day.

AMNESIAN

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Another point I found odd,

In understanding the application of Deuteronomy 22:23-27, we must realize that this brief account does not cover all possible situations. For example, it does not comment on the situation where the attacked woman cannot scream because she is mute, unconscious, or paralyzed with fear or is forcibly prevented from screaming by a hand or tape over her mouth.

This is a brief account? I thought this was God's LAW for the nation of Israel. Is the law covenant in Deuteronomy an abridged version? Did God have a more detailed version, where he covered these other scenarios? Or have the brothers decided for themselves what God really meant? Either God's law covenant was inadequate, or we are missing part of it, or God just did not think it all through. hmmm.

Another thing, if a woman was out in a field and was raped even though she screamed, the accused rapist would be executed. Where are the two witnesses in this scenario??? How could a man be put to death in this kind of case?

• Scully
    Scully

No Apologies writes:

Another thing, if a woman was out in a field and was raped even though she screamed, the accused rapist would be executed. Where are the two witnesses in this scenario??? How could a man be put to death in this kind of case?

Actually, there are two possible scenarios:

"If, however, it is in the field that the man found the girl who was engaged, and the man grabbed hold of her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her must also die by himself, and to the girl you must do nothing. The girl has no sin deserving of death, because just as when a man rises up against his fellowman and indeed murders him, even a sould, so it is with this case. For it was in the field that he found her. The girl who was engaged screamed, but there was no on to rescue her." - Deuteronomy 22:25-27.

Second scenario, involving an unengaged virgin:

"In case a man finds a girl, a virgin who has not been engaged, and he actually seizes her and lies down with her, and they have been found out, the man who lay down with her must also give the girl's father fifty silver shekels, and she will become his wife due to the fact that he humiliated her. He will not be allowed to divorce her all his days." - Deuteronomy 22:28, 29.

In the first case, the insult is not to the girl, but to her future husband. That's why the verse describes it as though the rapist had murdered his fellowman, and why the rapist was supposed to be executed. In the case of a murder, there may not have been eyewitnesses either, but you have a dead body and a family of the victim. If a girl claimed that someone raped her and became pregnant as a result of it (you know how Jehovah always has a way of making these things known) that would be the second "eye-witness".

In the second scenario, the insult is against the father of the girl. The rapist ends up having to pay a bride price for her to her father, and he's not permitted to divorce her during his lifetime. Nobody gives a $h!t that the girl has to live with someone who raped her for the rest of her life, and bear children for him and raise them, and have sex with him whenever he demands it of her.

Yep, Jehovah really cares about rape victims, doesn't he?

One has to remember that this was a time when women were mere chattel. They were owned by their fathers until they were "bought" by their husbands with a bride price. They didn't have a say in who they were going to marry. The marriages were contracts between heads of families, in exchange for goods and services. Women were not educated, they were only allowed to do menial labour and bear children. The more children a woman bore for her husband, the more valuable she was. Inheritances went to sons, not to daughters. A man who only had daughters was someone to be pitied.

JWs aren't much different from Old Testament Israel. As JT says, among JWs the only thing lower than a woman, is a black woman. It's really appalling how there are so many women in that Organization (I believe the stats are something like 68% of all JWs are female) when the Organization does nothing but oppress and disrespect them with articles like this one.

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 27 December 2002 16:7:59

Edited by - Scully on 27 December 2002 16:8:40

• ballistic
    ballistic

Someone else mentioned "PUTTING THE KINGDOM INTERESTS FIRST".

And this statment is often used to put people on a GUILT TRIP (which is, after all, what this is all about).

A sports car fanatic in our congregation gave up his two seater sports car for one with four seats to enable him to take out several others in the territory. On the face of it, this sounds exceptionally well intentioned. But I knew deep down that the brother was absolutely gutted as he told me, "my last car was frowned upon, I needed to be putting kingdom interests first."

• minimus
    minimus

This QFR is REALLY getting to my wife. She called 3 of her friends to get their viewpoint. We had a long talk last night and she is clearly seeing thru the hypocrisy. I encouraged her to start reading COC, which she said she's had in her hands 10 timesx but keeps putting back down. This subject is really a killer for women in the organization that have to take orders from nit-wit men that couldn't possibly understand this issue.

• Scully
    Scully

Hey minimus:

If your wife wants to talk to someone, I'd be happy to do that. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 28 December 2002 9:29:59

• minimus
    minimus

Scully, she read your comments and kept quoting them last night, She kept saying, "like that sister, Scully said"....When the time is right, I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks for your concern,too.

• Scully
    Scully

What is really bothering me about that rape QFR is that it will be used to make CHILDREN who are victims of JW pedophiles feel like it was their fault.

A woman who was molested as a child goes to the elders and says "Brother Wiggly showed me his willie and told me I had to play with it." Elder says "Did you scream?" Sister says "No he told me to be quiet or he'd hurt my little sister." Elder says "How many times did this happen?" Sister says: "I don't remember, I lost count. It always happened after the Book Study when he offered to read us a bed-time story." Elder says "Well you must have looked forward to it if you let it happen repeatedly. You must have enjoyed it." Sister says "No, I always felt awful about it. I was scared. He told me nobody would believe me." Elder says: "You were wearing your nightgown, weren't you? Maybe that got him aroused."

and on and on and on.

When the "loving counsel" regarding rape does not include reporting the crimes to the police, the WTS is failing in its responsibility to the people who look to them as "God's servant". People are willing to put their LIVES on the line for this organization, yet the organization does them this kind of disservice. One has to wonder why...... are there a lot of brothers in positions of responsibility who are better served by keeping sisters (and children) so cloistered??

Love, Scully

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hey scully

are there a lot of brothers in positions of responsibility who are better served by keeping sisters (and children) so cloistered??

Sadly I think so scully. We have an awful lot of power to expose the assinine policies of the WTS. By keeping us silent they get to protect their little kingdom. And it protects the ones who are doing the abusing. The elders on my JC were interested in one thing - protecting their "in" group. They knew I would not be quiet - far too honest so they knew they had to get rid of me and make sure no one would listen to anything I said. One has to wonder how many others are gotten rid of to protect abusers. I suspect that what we have seen with the silentlambs movement is only the tip of the iceberg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit