Washington Post Covers the Australia RC investigation

by LisaRose 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I came across this story in the Washington Post. It's nice to see they are covering the Royal Commission. I have a Kindle, everyone who buys one gets free six month subscription (it automatically downloads twice a day) to the Post , so I imagine this will get read by a lot of people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/jehovahs-witnesses-face-child-sex-abuse-investigation-in-australia/2015/08/14/d8a58eda-406e-11e5-9561-4b3dc93e3b9a_story.html

The church, which was founded in Pennsylvania during the 1870s to promote a 1st-century interpretation of the Bible, has emerged as the least able or willing to deal with sexual abuse within its ranks, said Anne Cossins, an associate law professor at the University of New South Wales and an expert in sex crimes who is a consultant for the inquiry.
    “I find their approach to the issue and victims extraordinarily bizarre — almost medieval,” she said in an interview.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Young girls were assaulted by neighbors. Teenagers were raped by their fathers. Victims were forced to pray with their abusers.
    When the children reached out for help, the church’s obsession with secrecy and hostility to outsiders kicked in. Victims, ordered to keep quiet, were forced to confront their abusers in person. All complaints — which averaged one a month for 65 years — were carefully recorded in sealed files, along with the church’s by-the-Bible responses.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, somebody, I forget who, posted this the other day.

It's good to get exposure in major US newspapers.

Love the quote that their procedures are "bizarre" and "medieval!"

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

At least they got something right in Washington!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit