Could be an angel

by Marcos 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Marcos
    Marcos

No argument.

The trick, of course, is for the people in the poorer countries to STOP REPRODUCING BEYOND THEIR MEANS TO SUPPORT.

However, we are now entering into the sacred bedroom. Mention to an American that you would like to regulate how many children they can have and you are just asking for trouble. In the educated class of Latin Americans, the rate of birth is lower. I am thinking that the same is true, generally, for families in the first world. Do the less well educated people in most countries tend to have more children than they can support? I believe so.

Humans seem to be more emotional than rational.

I understand that many tend to look at this problem from more of a practical standpoint than Christian. My point still has more to do with what IS than with what SHOULD BE.

Thanks,

Marcos

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hi Shari!

First of all, how is your son doing? Mine is sitting in the livingroom watching tv right now. (Thank God he is at home.)

I had a friend once. Her name is Martha.(she is now a JW thanks to me) She is from Quatamala(sp) She had to come here in order to send money home to feed her children. Her husband passed away and there were no jobs for her where she lived.

Yes, Guatemala is OUR Mexico. Things are really hard over there. It is common for people from here too to go to the US and send money home. It is a major part of the economy in many countries. I think almost any parent would do what they had to do to feed their children.

As for Americans being spoiled; I guess that is one way of stating it. Some are, you can see it by the way they freak out if they don't get their way down here. The kids (some, enough to merit a generalization) on Spring Break are a major source of embarassment for their parents as well as for us.

When I lived in Japan what I saw made me look at Japan as a sort of island Disneyland. The kids and most adults just could not conceive of the realities of life outside of Japan. They had around the clock care. The realities of the world outside just didn't penetrate the wall between them and the rest of the world.

The US and Canada are similar in that, if someone has no ties to the outside world, the realities of that world are far off and unreal. I know, I've lived there. People are nice, well meaning people. They are just naive. I have actually heard people say, "Tijuana is not the REAL MEXICO". Fact is, it IS the "real Mexico". Its just not Puerto Vallarta, Cancun or Acapulco.

It is pretty easy to talk about what people "should" do to take care of their problems. It is quite another to actually be involved in it day in and day out.

Only by experiencing a culture and participating in it can you really comprehend to any degree what might be the route to any solution.

Mole Poblano. Hmmm. Well, it is not my specialty. But, I will ask around. Our mole is probably a little different than what you have in mind. Oaxaca (state) is famous for it's mole. Chiapas (my home state) has its own ideas. I'll try to find something acceptable. You do know that, at least here, a lot of chocolate is used in the mix?

I'll try to come up with something.

Nice talking to you again.

Marcos

Oh, yeah, Lilacs, Xander and all, Merry Christmas!

Island Woman, thanks for your post. Your mom sounds great and so typical!

Edited by - marcos on 24 December 2002 0:42:45

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Marcos, my son is doing well, thanks for asking. He has been home the past couple of days. I had a long talk with him. I told him.

1. If he is going to drink he is not allowed home on the nights he does it. I don't want him around Manuel and Nicole while he is drunk.

2. If he wants to be an adult, he has to learn responsibilities. I told him he has to pay $40 a week rent, even the weeks he doesn't have work. (he will owe it to me and catch up when he can) I told him. I have to pay bills no matter what, and if he was on his own he would too. He didn't like that but oh well. He wants to be treated like an adult.

So far, he seems ok with it.

As far as the mole. Yes, the one I make has chocolate in it. Also anise, cumin and a few other ingredients. A friend of mine, who is from Durango, Mexico said it's made like that in his state. I just want to make sure I have it right is all. I love Mexican food and cook it often. I even at times make tamales and sell them at the store where I work week ends.

Merry Christmas to you too, Marcos, and to your family.

Shari

• rem
    rem

Marcos,

I did not mean to imply that the beggars you were referring to are con artists. I realize that there are many people in need in other countries that lack the social services we have here in the USA. I was just trying to show how ridiculous it is to have beggars in the USA when there is so much help available, not only through the government, but also through charities. There is no excuse for bums here, and yet the naive support their behavior by supplying them with tax-free dollars.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit