Washington Post: JW the least willing religion to deal with child sexual abuse

by adjusted knowledge 6 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

The church, which was founded in Pennsylvania in the 1870s to promote a First Century interpretation of the Bible and is now headquartered in Brooklyn, has emerged as the least able or willing to deal with sexual abuse within its ranks, according to Annie Cousins, a law professor at the University of New South Wales and an expert in sex crimes who is a consultant to the inquiry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/jehovahs-witnesses-face-child-sex-abuse-investigation-in-australia/2015/08/14/d8a58eda-406e-11e5-9561-4b3dc93e3b9a_story.html

Now I know that Annie Cousins is not of the high caliber expert witness as the JW expert Monica Applewhite but I think Cousins makes a great observation.

• sir82
    sir82
    "Medieval"! Love it.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I loved this excerpt:

"The church, ..., has emerged as the least able or willing to deal with sexual abuse within its ranks, according to Annie Cousins, a law professor at the University of New South Wales and an expert in sex crimes who is a consultant to the inquiry.

“'I find their approach to the issue and victims extraordinarily bizarre — almost medieval,' she said in an interview."

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Seriously, Xmas in August.
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Persecution! Satan tells lies! Apostates are everywhere! We guilt-shame victims into feeling like 2 cents! **Opps!**
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    adjusted knowledge: Now I know that Annie Cousins is not of the high caliber expert witness as the JW expert Monica Applewhite but I think Cousins makes a great observation.

I hope you meant that tongue in cheek.

Annie Cousins, a law professor at the University of New South Wales and an expert in sex crimes who is a consultant to the inquiry.

A law professor with a specialty in sex crimes? I betcha she would have no trouble producing research material to solidify her credibilty.

I would place her expert qualifications head and shoulders above Applewhite's limited experience and capabilities.

*to add - excellent article. Shared it on facebbok.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I hope you meant that tongue in cheek.

Yes I was trying to be facetious.

Applewhite is not an expert in child sex abuse just because she has a Doctorate degree. It's like claiming all accountants are experts in tax law.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit