How do you fill your spiritual need , EWjW's?

by LyinEyes 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Since I am free from the chains of the WT and their rules, I am becoming so much more open minded to looking into other forms of spiritulity. I just read Comf's thread about his wicca experience and it was soooo interesting .

I know many on this board have their own way of dealing with their need for spirituality. Before that word meant only JW related things to me. It only meant God.

I am going thru alot of changes in my belief of God and the bible to the point at times I don't believe in either, other times I do.

So I asked myself,,,, why don't I look into other things, pagan even. I need to find my own way to fill this spiritual need I have. I have tried praying to God, reading books by Christains, who have seen angels and it just doesnt cut it for me right now. I am still left feeling empty.

I am not saying I want answers to life's mysterious questions, I just want to acknowledge my spirituality in some way. I don't know yet which direction this will take me, but it can only help me.

I love to have fun, go out and dance , all the trivial but neccessary things of life , but I really still feel a strong need for something deeper and personal.

I have thought of going to church , but the thought makes me sick, since they will probably say something that will make me antsy and I will leave.I don't want to hear about money, or here them tell me all of their church rules. Around here, things are very back woods in this small town.

In the bigger city out of town from where I live I think I could find a better place for answers, but not here.

So what do you do to fullfill your spiritual needs, and do you see benefits from what you do?

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

This poem explains alot my garden is my closest I can get to "worshipping God" and of course playing with my Grandbaby NOW THAT IS HEAVEN!!!

For the victims_ The world is so much like a rose, varying layers. It takes time to see, what the true colors may be. Yes, there are thorns, some small and needle sharp. Seems those on the most beautiful, are like knives. Sometimes, while tending them, after being pricked again and again. I worry that the wounds will become infected, or that they may scar. I wonder why I bother, There are other things I could tend. But none as beautiful, none that smell so sweet. So, I put up with the needles, I live with the knives. Because I tend the roses, not the thorns. Sheila Madonia (Roses are the world and it's wonders Thorns are the abusers and their enablers)

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Deedee.....I can relate. I was (years ago) where you are now. What a wonderful journey you are ready to embark upon! (embark.....what a wierd word). I can't tell you where to find your answers...that is the glory of it. You have to come to your own conclusions, your own destination yourself.

But........

For me, my spirituality began with me recovering from the harmful effects done to me in my life. The overall "spirituality picture" was too large for me to look at, so I took "baby steps". I had to learn how to take care of myself. I had to learn that I was a good person even though I was being told differently by my parents and the borg. I had to learn to be truely heal those deep wounds instead of simply "putting a scab over it". It was a very difficult time in my life but well worth it.

It also involved going to different churches just to meet people and listen to what was said. I never joined these churches and very seldom ever went more than a few times, but I went to get out and see what else was out there. I loved talking to people and seeing what their lives were like. I found it amazing to listen to how their faith effects their lives.

I learned about different cultures and beliefs. I approached these with cultural sensitivity and respect. My greatest learning experience was with the American Indian culture. In fact, I became very close to many elders w/in that community who helped me see things in a different perspective.

Do you see what I was doing? I was enlarging my circle of life a little at a time. I learned that the differences are so unique and special between us. I absolutely loved being able to look at so many different ways of beliefs.

I learned to meditate. I joined a support group. I surrounded myself with "healthy" people that ended up being more closer to me than I ever imagined.

With every baby step I began to define my spirituality. Taking what I liked and leaving the rest. For me, life is best when it is simple. I have found renewal in my spirituality by nature around me. My spirituality is unique because it is mine! I was defined from my understanding. It is very personal and very special to me.

You will find it Deedee. Remember, it is the journey.....not the destination. Start simple, start small.......and enjoy every step of it!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Scootergirl:You said everything so perfectly. Small baby steps for a very long time. Then some bigger steps, then back to baby steps. Stop, pause, move, stop, pause, reflect, savor, move. The thing is to try to keep moving more forward than backward.

LyinEyes: Fulfilling one's own spiritual needs is very personal, but usually uniquely tied in with each of us. Like a giant circle moving round very slowly, we make the decision when we will slip into our spot within the circle. The spot that is ours alone and meant to be.

Others are there ahead of us and behind us, but no one is any better than the other. But we do help each other to find our way. We are each where we are meant to be. We are moving towards the center of that circle, where all knowledge and wisdom reside--hopefully, where our creators will meet us as we enter and we will be fully enlightened and truly understand the universal picture. Until then, it is still a massive gigsaw puzzle that we all work at. We are each our own piece of that puzzle. When we find our spot, the place we belong, the picture takes on more meaning. We are sharing ourself with the grand plan.

I can't wait to see the whole picture.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl
    When we find our spot, the place we belong, the picture takes on more meaning. We are sharing ourself with the grand plan.

I can't wait to see the whole picture.

How true, Sentinel! Isn't it just amazing when you really sit and think about it? How wonderful........

• animal
    animal

Personally, I dont look for or feel the need for any spirituality. This works for me, and works well.

Animal (his own god)

• acsot
    acsot

I was just thinking about this myself! I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do, but there is definitely an empty feeling inside. I have recently been perusing Christian apologetics, essays, commentaries but after a while I just can't get into it anymore. It doesn't "fill" anything or answer anything or give me any sense of peace. So right now I'm going to finish "The Road Less Traveled" by Scott Peck, then probably start on a book of introductory Buddhism. Native American beliefs also intrigue me; also yoga. There just seems so much out there that was cut off from us due to our Borg brainwashing that it's quite daunting!

Happy journey, fellow travellers!

• Banshee
    Banshee

Scootegirl, well said! As I was reading your post, I was remembering some of my own experiences and feelings during the beginning of my spiritual journey.

We each have the choice whether or not to/when to/how to embark on the journey. And it is a wonderful thing to have choices now, isn't it? My own spiritual sojourn has thus far been very rewarding...and it is certainly not over yet! Good luck and courage to all who are getting ready to venture forth on a spiritual path!

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I also feel that I have not kept in touch with any spiritual side once I walked away from the borg. I still feel kinda weird about it. Church's just do not cut it for me. I have become a real sceptic. I have gone to the Universal Unitarian Church and felt that was nice. Basically you can believe what you want. You might want to try that one. It blends Christianity, Judiasm, Native American, Eastern beliefs. They kinda talk about all of them. They have great songs that they sing.

I work for the Salvation Army so in a way I think that helps me fill that part of me. I do not belong to their church but believe in the philosophy of their beliefs. They do not care about your ethnicity, sexual orientation, education etc. They just want to help the needy. Works for me.

Leslie

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

IMHO, I think my spiritual need comes from a need I have (as a human being) for things to make some sort of sense. In the past (my JW past that is) I believed in the WT God, and this made everything make sense for a while. Now I believe in no God or gods, only atoms, quarks, gluons, bosons, fermions and all the others. I fill my spiritual need by meditating on how dumb atoms come to be bonded together to make conscious beings such as ourselves.

I think it's part of our evolutionary heritage that we seek to make sense out of this experience we call life. I think Jesus' reported words (to which you allude in the title of this thread) were right - "Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need". Nowadays I re-interpret the term "spiritual need" to mean a "need to explain their existance", rather than a "relationship with their creator".

ig.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit